Subject: Re: [dna] [DNA] DNA working group completion

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 04:27:21 -0700

Sounds like a fine plan. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jari Arkko
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:08 AM
To: DNA; [email-masked]
Subject: [DNA] DNA working group completion

Now that the simple DNA document has been sent to IETF last call, I 
wanted to talk to you about the status of the working group. It has 
taken a long time, but we are finally there! I am sure there will be 
small issues in the IESG review, but I do not see any major problems. 
Thank you everyone who made this happen, Suresh you in particular have 
done a lot of work on this!

But lets talk about the next steps. My inclination would be to say that 
we've completed our main task and that we can close the working group. A 
successful closure. Any follow-up documents (tentative, the experimental 
full protocol) can be submitted as individual submissions and I'd be 
happy to take them forward. But watching the energy level of the group 
dissipate over the years, I do not believe we have a reason to keep a 
formal working group alive. Obviously the mailing list should be kept alive.

Thoughts?

Jari

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:29:42 -0400

Hi Jari,

> formal working group alive. Obviously the mailing list should be kept alive.

Sounds like a good plan. I fully support the idea of closing the WG :-). 
One thing I would like to be different is to progress the WG items 
(tentative and informational protocol) as WG documents to the IESG 
(as-is) immediately and then close the WG down. I feel that these 
documents have gone through a lot of working group review in their 
lifetime and by treating them as individual submissions they would 
appear to be immature and not adequately reviewed. Any followup can be 
done on the mailing list. What do you think?

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:55:37 +0300

Suresh,

> done on the mailing list. What do you think?

I don't think individual submissions imply that the documents are 
immature. The reviewers need to understand the history and status of 
each document in any case, be it from the working group or individual.

However, I don't that matters much. Nor does it matter how many years 
they have been in the process. What matters is whether the said 
documents are ready. Are they? As ready as the simple DNA document is?

Jari

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:22:49 -0400

Hi Jari,

> documents are ready. Are they? As ready as the simple DNA document is?

Makes sense. I will talk to the authors to see how comfortable they feel 
about the documents.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:10:38 +0300

> Makes sense. I will talk to the authors to see how comfortable they 
> feel about the documents.

Was there a response from the authors? (And they could speak here on the 
list, too, I suppose...)

Jari

---

From: "Greg Daley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:43:25 +1100

Hi Jari, 

I'm happy to proceed with the tentative draft as individual submission,
but wonder if the draft-ietf-dna-tentative would have to drop the
"draft-ietf".

I haven't heard from the other authors, and we would have to ensure
it is OK with them.

Greg Daley
Security Consultant
NetStar Australia Pty Ltd

E-mail: [email-masked]
Mobile: +61 401 772 770
Direct: +61 3 8532 4042
Fax:    +61 3 8532 4032 

> Sent: Wednesday, 21 October 2009 8:11 AM
> To: Suresh Krishnan
> Cc: DNA; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA working group completion
> 
>

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:47:01 +0300

I have done a preliminary review of the two proposed additional documents.

My conclusion is that the documents can be published, but both require 
some amount of revision. I will send more specific comments to the 
authors and to the list soon.

I do not want to hold up the closing of the working group while waiting 
for revising these documents, however. I have asked the secretariat to 
send a working group termination announcement and want to thank everyone 
for a successful end of the work. There will be some discussion (as you 
have seen) on the dna-simple document as it progresses through IETF Last 
Call and the IESG. And I hope to get new versions of the dna-tentative 
and dna-protocol documents as soon as possible -- by Monday's deadline 
if you can manage it :-) I will take them forward as AD sponsored 
submissions.

Jari