Subject: [dns-privacy] An alternative for DNS privacy

From: Witold Kręcicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 21:21:23 +0200

Hi all,
After the discussions that took place on dprive meeting in Prague I felt
that we're losing the point of DNS - it being the very lightweight
protocol. I know that DTLS and TLS are great and proven protocols but
those were meant to protect streams and communications a few orders
larger where few additional ping-pongs and few hundred bytes of overhead
are negligible. In DNS the few hundred bytes is an order of magnitude,
and a few additional ping-pongs are a nightmare for someone with RT
times of 300ms (not everyone lives in the US you know :>). I also felt
that there is a pressure to migrate to TCP completely - which I believe
is throwing a baby with the bathwater.

That's why I've came up with something completely different. I've
started writing this draft in Prague in July, but from completely wrong
side - describing wire formats etc. instead of general ideas.
So for now I've erased everything that's on the technical side and left
only the very outline of the protocol.

So, without further ado, here

https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-krecicki-dnsenc-00.txt

is the early, buggy, almost non-technical, and full of typos version of
Stateless DNS Encryption (DNSENC) draft, for your consideration.

Witold Krecicki
ISC