Subject: [dns-privacy] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 16:11:18 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS over TLS: Initiation and Performance Considerations
        Authors         : Zi Hu
                          Liang Zhu
                          John Heidemann
                          Allison Mankin
                          Duane Wessels
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-03.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2016-01-04

Abstract:
   This document describes the use of TLS to provide privacy for DNS.
   Encryption provided by TLS eliminates opportunities for eavesdropping
   and on-path tampering with DNS queries in the network, such as
   discussed in RFC 7258.  In addition, this document specifies two
   usage profiles for DNS-over-TLS and provides advice on performance
   considerations to minimize overhead from using TCP and TLS with DNS.

   Note: this document was formerly named
   draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns.  Its name has been changed to
   better describe the mechanism now used.  Please refer to working
   group archives under the former name for history and previous
   discussion.  [RFC Editor: please remove this paragraph prior to
   publication]

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:31:29 +0100

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 04:11:18PM -0800,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-dns-over-tls-03.txt

A few remarks, nothing to endanger the WG consensus :-)

The draft mentions DNScurve, a resolver-to-auth technique. Because of
the current charter of DPRIVE, I suggest to replace it by DNScrypt
<https://dnscrypt.org/>

Is it a good idea to keep two profiles in this draft (section 4),
rather than to move everything to
draft-dgr-dprive-dtls-and-tls-profiles?