Subject: [dns-privacy] Interesting article on DNS privacy architecture

From: Amelia Andersdotter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 14:10:44 +0100

Dear all,

I've been pointed to this article by a colleague:
http://sci-hub.tw/10.1002/poi3.195 which investigates us(!!) (i.e.
DPRIV-documents) but also possible ties into some of the considerations
raised by Ralf Weber in December last year.

I appreciated greatly Table 1 on p. 14 which compares different privacy
policies in a way coherent with the mappings of financial privacy
agreement considerations developed by Lorrie Cranor et al.

best regards,

-- 
Amelia Andersdotter
Technical Consultant, Digital Programme

ARTICLE19
www.article19.org

PGP: 3D5D B6CA B852 B988 055A 6A6F FEF1 C294 B4E8 0B55

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 2019 23:33:05 -0500

>raised by Ralf Weber in December last year.

Nothing it says is specifically wrong, but the article just recycles
the usual academic bias and preconeptions about the DNS.  It skips
over the reality that the vast majority of domain names are registered
by legal entities, not people, and doesn't even consider the extent to
which WHOIS info is used (or at least was used when it was available)
to protect phishing and other attacks against individuals privacy
and security.

-- 
Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly