Subject: [dns-privacy] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-schwartz-svcb-dns-00.txt

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 13:53:54 -0400

Hi ADD and DPRIVE,

I've noticed three recent drafts that propose to use the SVCB format:
draft-mglt-add-rdp, draft-tapril-ns2, and
draft-pauly-add-resolver-discovery.  These drafts, across multiple
working groups, consider distinct use cases and architectures, but they all
propose using SVCB (in very different ways) to convey information about a
DNS server that supports encrypted transport.

In the interest of harmonizing these proposals, creating a solid
foundation, and separating concerns, I've written a short draft that
specifies _only_ a minimal SVCB mapping for DNS URIs*, and does not address
any specific use case.

I hope this draft can enable each of these proposals to focus more on their
goals, and worry less about the SVCB encoding.  (It also serves as an
interesting test of the SVCB design.)

Please review,
Ben Schwartz

*SVCB is based on URIs like https://, so for a DNS mapping we start with
dns:// URIs.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 1:38 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-schwartz-svcb-dns-00.txt
To: Benjamin Schwartz <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-schwartz-svcb-dns-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Benjamin Schwartz and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-schwartz-svcb-dns
Revision:       00
Title:          Service Binding Mapping for DNS URIs
Document date:  2020-08-04
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          8
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schwartz-svcb-dns-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schwartz-svcb-dns/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schwartz-svcb-dns-00
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-schwartz-svcb-dns

Abstract:
   The SVCB DNS record type expresses a bound collection of endpoint
   metadata, for use when establishing a connection to a named service.
   DNS itself can be such a service, when the server is identified by a
   hostname in a "dns:" URI.  This document provides the SVCB mapping
   for name-based DNS URIs, allowing DNS servers to indicate support for
   new transport protocols.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 20:40:44 -0400

Moving DPRIVE and DNSOP to BCC to avoid cross-posting.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I hope this draft can enable each of these proposals to focus more on
> their goals, and worry less about the SVCB encoding.  (It also serves as an