Subject: [dns-privacy] RFC 9103 on DNS Zone Transfer over TLS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:28:57 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9103

        Title:      DNS Zone Transfer over TLS 
        Author:     W. Toorop,
                    S. Dickinson,
                    S. Sahib,
                    P. Aras,
                    A. Mankin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Updates:    RFC 1995, RFC 5936, RFC 7766

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dprive-xfr-over-tls-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9103

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9103

DNS zone transfers are transmitted in cleartext, which gives
attackers the opportunity to collect the content of a zone by
eavesdropping on network connections. The DNS Transaction Signature
(TSIG) mechanism is specified to restrict direct zone transfer to
authorized clients only, but it does not add confidentiality. This
document specifies the use of TLS, rather than cleartext, to prevent
zone content collection via passive monitoring of zone transfers: XFR
over TLS (XoT). Additionally, this specification updates RFC 1995 and
RFC 5936 with respect to efficient use of TCP connections and RFC
7766 with respect to the recommended number of connections between a
client and server for each transport.

This document is a product of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 07:36:03 -0400

Thanks to everyone who helped move this document through the process!

On 8/24/21 12:28 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dns-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-privacy
>