Subject: [dns-privacy] Presenting draft-dkgjsal-dprive-unilateral-probing

From: Joey Salazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 16:54:30 +0100

Hi dprive,

dkg and I have been working on a draft [1] on unilateral, opportunistic DNS
probing for encrypted connections between recursive resolvers and
authoritative servers. We welcome the groups' feedback on the early work we
have so far.

[1] https://dkg.gitlab.io/dprive-unilateral-probing/

The draft's main difference from draft-ietf-dprive-unauth-to-authoritative
is that we currently focus on probing instead of signaling; we're trying to
define *how* to probe for encrypted transports in a way that is the most
efficient (that is, that introduces the smallest costs to the participants
in the ecosystem), without introducing any new protocol elements.

>From drafting this proposal, we believe that signaling seems necessary for
strong (authenticated) encryption, but we don't think that there is any
reason to delay deployment of protection against passive observers while
the WG hashes out the details of the signal. We also think this proposal
highlights some of the most relevant factors potentially needed in the
signal.

We will present the work at the upcoming DPRIVE meeting at IETF 112
(Thursday Session I, 12:00-14:00 UTC).

All your comments, critiques, and suggestions very much welcome,
--
dkg and Joey

---

From: Joey Salazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 20:53:07 +0100

Hi dprive,

We've uploaded version -00 to the datatracker [1].

Thanks in particular to Paul Hoffman, Kris Shrishak, Ralf Weber, Christian
Huitema, and Jim Reid for the feedback received so far, it has been very
encouraging.

We will update the draft to -01 soon with edits from that feedback and from
the dprive meeting last week, and we'd like to renew our invitation to the
group for critique, support, and edits; although discussion in this mailing
list is preferred, we also welcome issues and MRs in the GitLab repo [2],
which we will then relay to the mailing list.

Very looking forward to further discussion,
--
dkg and jsal

[1]
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dkgjsal-dprive-unilateral-probing/
[2] https://gitlab.com/dkg/dprive-unilateral-probing

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 4:54 PM Joey Salazar <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi dprive,
>
> dkg and I have been working on a draft [1] on unilateral, opportunistic
> DNS probing for encrypted connections between recursive resolvers and