Subject: Re: DNSEXT Minutes @ IETF-63 [Software Patent issues denied discussion]

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:55:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> In message <[email-masked]>, "william(at)elan
> .net" writes:
> >
> >On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Dave Crocker wrote:
> >
> >>> [Note:  Not very long ago, I argued persuasively to a large and broad
> >>> movement within the IETF seeking to have the IETF adopt an anti-patent
> >>> position. 
> >>
> >> my memory is slipping worse that I thought.
> >> i don't recall seeing evidence of the community's being persuaded.
> 
> It wasn't -- he's wrong.

I see: I'm wrong, but you didn't see the original note.  How thorough of
you.  Sounds more like: "Crocker is right, no matter what".

> Wearing my IPR WG hat and citing a product of that WG...

Maybe if you are going to make official statements, you could do a more
thorough job of consulting both the statements being made, and your RFCs.  
I just cited RFC3979, a more recent product of your working group. But
nothing I said was in contradiction to RFC3669, either. Not that you 
bothered to read it before commenting.

[Didn't I just say something about fabrication of statements and
professional dishonesty...]

		--Dean

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000   

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:57:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Dave Crocker wrote:

> Folks,
> 
> I've lost track of the procedures for formally taking exception to ad hominem 
> attacks, but I think we (the IETF) are overdue in needing to get quite strict 
> about enforcing that requirement, and doing the enforcement in a timely fashion.l

I agree entirely.

> We simply must purge patterns of personal abuse out of our public discussions 
> and start requiring professional demeanor.

Yes, as the target of repeated personal abuse, I completely agree. 

However, you are one of the abusers.

		--Dean