Subject: [dnsext] WGLC-Summary: TCP-requirements

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:05:28 -0400

The Working Group Last call has concluded. There was intense
discussion by the WG about the document.

The discussion on the mailing list indicates that the document has
been thoroughly reviewed(20+), and among reviewers only one person
voiced opposition to publication.  Based on this the chairs declare a
strong consensus to advance the document.

The Editor has issued an updated version.  If you sent in edits
please take a look and comment if your concerns are not reflected in
a satisfactory manner. If there are no comments on version 03
by May 7'th, we will declare it finished.
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dnsext/draft-ietf-dnsext-dns-tcp-requirements/

While reviewing the many comments, the Chairs noticed certain
asymmetry: the document talks about server connection management,
but there is no text on how/when the client should close its TCP
connections.
Thus the Chairs want to ask the Working group, "Should the document be
amended with a recommendation on client TCP connection termination?"

If the answer is YES, then what should the recommendation be?
The client MUST/SHOULD close TCP connection:
     - once the last outstanding question has been answered
     - a few seconds after the last answer arrived
     - never

Pick one option, or rank the options.
Note the value for "few seconds" is probably outside the scope of this
document.

     Olafur & Andrew

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:18:16 +0000

> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:05:28 -0400
> From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
> ...

no.  that would be new work, not a clarification.

but...

> Note the value for "few seconds" is probably outside the scope of this

since the server can close based on connection congestion or other need,
the client should leave the connection open unless it has a reason to
close it, such as exiting an application or context, or for reasons
similar to the server's possible reasons (congestion).  if streams of
queries from a client to a server are able to reuse a tcp session it'll
be great for everybody.  i'd go further: if you have to open a tcp/53
session you should make all possible attempts to reuse it for as long as
practical.