Subject: Status of 2052bis

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 05:20:18 +1100

A new draft of 2052bis will be required before the IETF last call is
issued (based upon AD advice).   This is unfortunate, in a sense, but,
fortunately, the occurrence of the IETF meeting, and then the Christmas
break, has arranged the IESG schedule such that the effect should not
actually delay things any more than they would otherwise have been delayed.

The authors have agreed to prepare a new draft, and have it submitted
as soon as the I-D lockout is lifted (most probably during the IETF
meeting).   As soon as that draft is announced (which should be immediately
after the IETF) an IETF last call will be initiated.

The most significant change to the draft will be to change the sense of
the wording with respect to compression of the target name.   That will
become a "MUST NOT".

The definition of, and specification of the use of the "weight" field
will also be improved.   If Dr Bernstein sends some suggested wording
for the definition of this field, there's a good chance that that will
be used.   Of course, anyone else is also free to suggest new text.
In the absense of either of those, only minimal changes are likely.

kre