Subject: DNS subdomain implementation before parent connection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:47:05 EDT

Hi!  Please be nice as I am new to this.  I've just read DNS on Windows NT
plus as much DNS info as I could find in TechNet and various Windows NT
books (want to respond in advance to any RTFM comments).

Unfortunately, they all describe the normal circumstances.  That is,
creating a 2nd level domain (e.g. mycompany.com) and proceeding from there.

Here is what I am trying to do:

Only known info from parent: www.co.san-juaquin.ca.us Attempting to obtain
DNS structure from appropriate parties.

WAN connectivity to parent will not be live until Sept.

Want to install DNS so as to allow intranet activity locally and configure
in such a way so as to plug into parent with minimal reconfiguration come
Sept.

Local department is Public Works.  Am guessing we will be
publicworks.co.san-juaquin.ca.us.

I was thinking I could create a Primary Zone co.san-juaquin.ca.us
(which I am guessing is the parent domain),
then create a subdomain called publicworks.co.san-juaquin.ca.us,
then put an NS record pointing to the publicworks DNS server
(I am doing all of this on the same server),
then creating a Primary Zone called publicworks.co.san-juaquin.ca.us,
then adding the appropriate NS, A, and PTR records.

I was planning on leaving the Cache.dns alone and letting it time out for
non-local requests.

I think I've got it right according to my limited understanding.  What I
don't understand is what I need to do once the WAN connection becomes
active.  Can I just delete the parent Zone I created on my server and then
have my parent add my subdomain on their server and all will be well?

Any suggestions for a better strategy?

Please advise,

Jeff Mueller
Systems Engineer
Sacramento, CA