Subject: draft-eastlake-card-map-05.txt

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:52:44 +1000

DNSIND WG members might like to review this draft.

kre

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-eastlake-card-map-05.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:08:37 -0400

This is a retransmission of an earlier announcement, correcting the author's 
name.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ISO 7812/7816 Based Card Numbers and the
			  Domain Name System (DNS)
	Author(s)	: D. Eastlake
	Filename	: draft-eastlake-card-map-05.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 27-Apr-99
	
There are a variety of servers, web pages, and the like, which
holders of ISO 7812 financial transaction identification card numbers
and ISO 7816 smart card or related numbers may need to locate on the
Internet. For example, some systems assume a smart card holder can
contact the issuer of a smart card application for maintenance and
update functions and the SET protocol assumes that a card holder can
locate the appropriate certification authority to obtain a card
holder certificate. This document specifies a method using the DNS as
an important element in locating card related facilities on the
Internet by mapping ISO 7812 and ISO 7816 based number systems into
domain names within in the card.reg.int domain.
Disclaimer
 
The methods proposed herein are not, at the time of the issuance of
this document, endorsed by the credit card brands or associations for
Use in connection with SET.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-card-map-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-eastlake-card-map-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-card-map-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.