Subject: RE: draft-manning-multicast-dns-00.txt

From: Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:38:59 -0700 (PDT)

> Are you saying that it allows for DNS name resolution by a server in
    > the absence of preconfiguration of DNS server multicast addresses
    > on a DNS client?
    
Yes, if I understand your question.

From the draft:

   "...port 53 of statically-assigned relative offset -3 within
   the range of multicast addresses defined as "administratively scoped"
   by RFC 2365, section 9.  Within the full /8 of administratively
   scoped addresses, this corresponds to the destination address
   239.255.255.252.  Until MZAP or a similar protocol is implemented to
   allow hosts to discover the extent of the local multicast scopes
   which enclose them, it is anticipated that implementations will
   simply utilize the destination address 239.255.255.252."

Any queries which have to be sent via multicast are _always_ sent on
relative address -3.  The whole point of this is that the client doesn't
need to be configured with any information prior to this working.  It's
explicitly intended to be useful as a bootstrap protocol.  It would not
be useful if it didn't work in the "absence of preconfiguration."

			-Bill

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 99 14:35:40 JST

Bill Woodcock;

> It would not

Now, we can agree that neither MZAP nor your proposal is useful.

							Masataka Ohta