Subject: RE: draft-manning-multicast-dns-00.txt

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

> I think it is reasonable to consider this to be the boundary between the
> "Home" and the ISP/Loop.   The interesting question for all admin scoping is
> that in the end there is something like a router that lives in both an
> "inside" and "outside" scope and can make decisions on what to propogate
> (either the query packet, or the information from as in proxying the ISP
> info onto the Home LAN.  This is a policy issue and we just need to be sure
> the protocol is flexible, albeit controllable.
> 
> As with many issues today, the ISP basically can filter:
> 
> 1) the customer from the Internet at large
> 2) the Internet at large from the customer.

[ from a private conversation with woody ]

i.e. you chose to configure the local admin scope to be only the local lan.
thus the nbp/wins chatter is nicely limited to the local lan, which is cool.

now how will those poor little hosts on the customer lan find the classic
full dns server at the isp's pop (or even worse, slightly beyond)?

what i am trying to sort out in what's left of my mind is what are the
natural boundaries of the goals/requirements.  and i suspect that nbp/wins
discovery has a smaller scope than dns classic.  or at least one that i
might want to configure differently in different environments.

e.g. conversely, in a large enterprise, i might have local work area dns
classic servers that i want to force folk to use, but might want them to
browse a larger area.

randy

---

From: Peter Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:23:31 -0700

cheers, peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Bush [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 11:51 PM
To: Peter Ford
Cc: namedroppers
Subject: RE: draft-manning-multicast-dns-00.txt

Hey Peter,

> 1) allow for DNS name resolution in the absence of configured and
> administered DNS servers (e.g. 2 hosts and a LAN scenario - perhaps
> we can call this the home LAN scenario).

in this scenario where is the multicast admin scope boundary?

randy

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:30:11 +0200

>full dns server at the isp's pop (or even worse, slightly beyond)?

grumble.
Expanding scope multicast?

This is directly similar to what I've objected to in some DHCP proposals:
If all the DNS stuff is at the ISP site, the home LAN won't work when
the line is down.

Cable modems should have DNS servers.

                  Harald

-- 
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]