Subject: Protocol Action: Reserved Top Level DNS Names to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:02:32 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Reserved Top Level DNS Names'
<draft-ietf-dnsind-test-tlds-13.txt> as a BCP.  This document is the
product of the DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic Update Working
Group.  The IESG contact person is Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
This document reserves a small number of top-level domain names (TLDs)
and a few second-level domain names for use in documentation and for
test purposes. The reserved names will not be entered into the DNS
itself, ensuring that if they are used in documentation, and then
accidently used in actual configuration files, they will not resolve
to real DNS names. The names can also be used for testing purposes,
with an assurance that the names won't collide with actual names in
the DNS.

Working Group Summary

This document has been revised substantially over a long period of
time. The current document is a trimmed down version compared to
earlier versions, and there was consensus with the final result.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.