Subject: RFC 1611...

From: "Glenn Waters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:23:58 -0500

… has been sitting as a proposed standard since 1994.  Is this viewed as an
active document that the WG is still considering?

Thanks, /gww

---
Glenn Waters, Nortel Networks, Ottawa ON, Canada

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 22:44:07 -0500

>active document that the WG is still considering?

No implementation, no advancement for DNS server MIB. 
But I do not think it is a bad idea to consider updating the MIB in the
near future. 

	Olafur

--------
Olafur Gudmundsson - NAI Labs 			(443)-259-2389 
The Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc.
[email-masked]  [email-masked]  Private: [email-masked]

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 13:21:24 +0100

>active document that the WG is still considering?
As a general principle, a Proposed Standard is not an "active document" per 
se - the intention of a Proposed Standard is to provide a stable reference 
that people can implement from to see if it's workable, does the Right 
Thing, and is useful.

Once some implementation experience has been gathered, the theory is that 
people will come back and ask for it to be elevated to Draft Standard. 
Requires 2 independent implementations of all features, and either a draft 
for a revision or consensus that the current doc is good enough to advance 
without revision. (This happens rarely)

Most old Proposed Standards are in one of two states:

- nobody cares enough to do the work to raise them to Draft
- nobody wants to reopen all the wounds from the previous fight

I think 1611 is probably in the former category.

                              Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]