Subject: Re: DNS SRV question (was Re: please post updated draft)

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:33:35 +0100

> +   Care MUST be taken when using locally defined symbolic service
> +   names to avoid possible collision with a name assigned in Assigned
> +   Numbers [STD 2].  It is suggested that all locally defined service
> +   identifiers begin with the string "x-" (x, hyphen), in order to
> +   reduce the possibility of name collision.

Collisions could easier be avoided by vendor- or site-specific tokens, but
this is probably out of the scope of that document. Some mail headers show
that 'x-' is not always the best choice.

-Peter

---

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 19:27:29 -0500

> that 'x-' is not always the best choice.

I agree about tokens being out of the scope of this document.

As for the mail headers - I'm not sure what you mean.  In mail, x- is
an intentional free-for-all.  Anyone using it is intentionally and
knowingly using a name in a namespace that is unofficial.  That's why
I said "It is suggested", rather than "It is required" to use x-
headers for local service names.

I'd be okay with making it read "One possible method to use is to have
all locally sefined service identifiers begin with .. (etc)" if you
think that is more clear.

David

-- 
   David Shaw  |  [email-masked]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
   "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
      We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson