Subject: WGLC summary: Kitchen Sink

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:36:37 -0500

There were a few responses on the last call of the Kitchen Sink
document on the mailing list.  
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsind-kitchen-sink-02.txt

First: All responses but the ones from the document author were 
negative and all argued for not advancing the document. From this the
chairs sense that there is no "customer base" for this proposal. 

Second: The arguments put forward include: 
	The SINK record is too flexible, and places registration 
	    burden on IANA.	
	The SINK record will allow an end run about the process of 
	    how new record types are specified and registered. 
	The goals of the SINK record can be accomplished by a small set 
	    of more specific record types. 

The author tried to refute each one of these in his responses. 

At this point the the working group chairs sense the working group
consensus is to discard this document as a "bad idea" and not advance it. 

	Olafur & Randy