Subject: re: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is no longer open for AXFR of COM, NET, or ORG

From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:16:05 -0700

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: [email-masked]
Subject: re: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is no longer open for AXFR of COM, NET, or ORG
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:16:05 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>

The US-DoC has asked that we extend the period during which we disallow
"AXFR" public access to our service copies of the COM, NET, and ORG zones.
The new date is September 16.

(See below for references.)

- ------- Forwarded Message

To: ...
Subject: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is no longer open for AXFR of COM, NET, or ORG
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 15:12:05 -0700
From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>

(sent to the NANOG, IETF, and NAMEDROPPERS lists to catch everybody who cares.)

Today we (Internet Software Consortium, Inc) received a verified request from
the US-DOC asking that we disable public zone transfers for the COM, NET and
ORG zones from now until July 23.  This is part of a controlled experiment 
designed to uncover the actual uses and users of this information.

ISC recognizes US-DOC as one of the parties authorized to make such a request,
and so we have complied with it as of Mon May  3 14:57:39 1999 (Pacific).  All
users who have been fetching the COM, NET, or ORG zones from F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
should during this interrim period contact Network Solutions for access.

Unless instructed otherwise by US-DOC, IANA, or ICANN, we plan to restore
public access to the COM, NET, and ORG zones from F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET during
the morning of July 23, 1999.

(signed)

Paul Vixie (Chairman)
Internet Software Consortium

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy