Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

From: Steve Mattson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:51:19 -0400

Date:    Thu, 8 Jul 99 7:53:16 JST
  To:      [email-masked] (Steve Mattson)
  cc:      [email-masked]
  From:    Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
  Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

  > This would allow the draft to proceed without having to 
  > address what is "internationally fair" or how to determine an evolving 
  > weight factor for the default set of root servers which one overrides 
  > selectively within one's "local" Internet.
  
  What do you mean "local" Internet?
  
  The proposal is for the global Internet.

I was attempting to use the language of the draft, in combining the
mention of the "domestic Internet" as noted in this paragraph:

   For the stability of the domestic Internet, it is critical for each
   country that there are sufficiently many DNS root servers operating
   at various places of the Internet in the country.

with the idea of "local root servers" as noted here:

   With administratively scoped unicast addresses, any entity, including
   a country, can use the addresses for its local root servers and set
   the scope of the routing ranges of the addresses appropriately.

I understand that the goal is to provide robust and timely root DNS services
to everyone regardless of their point of connection to the global Internet.
I struggle with the terminology necessary to define a particular connection
to the global Internet in relation to which instances of the root servers 
are available to that connection.  By "local" Internet I attempt to refer
to the local viewpoint of the Internet as defined by the total set of root
server instances available to a particular connection, as determined by the
possibly numerous upstream Internet access providers involved.
  
Steve

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 99 11:02:50 JST

Steve Mattson;

> to everyone regardless of their point of connection to the global Internet.

That's fine.

But, we are talking about the motivation.

You can argue that explanations on the motivation should be removed.

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

> You can argue that explanations on the motivation should be removed.

i think folk are talking about the 'timely' part.  not to belittle the
'robust' part.

randy