Subject: DNS Performance Question

From: Tom Limoncelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:12:48 -0400

Does anyone have statistics about how many DNS queries per second is
typical for a heavily loaded DNS server?  (For example: the root
servers).

Thanks,

Tom Limoncelli

---

From: Bill Selmeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:20:50 -0700

I've been told the root name servers handle roughly 7000
transactions/second sustained and peak at 10K transactions per second.
Bill

>typical for a heavily loaded DNS server?  (For example: the root
======================================================
Bill Selmeier		Internet Software Consortium
Director		950 Charter Street
Client Relations	Redwood City, CA 94063
+1 (650) 779-7018	[email-masked]