Subject: how many RRs?

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:28:33 -0700

Any stats or opinions available on the number of resource records which
are in use in the global DNS namespace? I would think maybe an average of
1.2 RRs per domain name would be a reasonable guess?

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: Mark Kosters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:44:24 -0400

In the com/net/org namespace, each delegation averages slightly over two 
rr's. Thus, if one has their dns setup right, each minimal delegated rr 
set should be at least three (soa, and the two ns's).

Mark

-- 

Mark Kosters             [email-masked]       Network Solutions, Inc.
PGP Key fingerprint =  1A 2A 92 F8 8E D3 47 F9  15 65 80 87 68 13 F6 48

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:56:38 -0700

> set should be at least three (soa, and the two ns's).

Yah, but I'm trying to include leaf node domain names in my guesstimate,
so that would bring the average way lower.

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:29:19 +0200

>so that would bring the average way lower.

The RIPE hostname collections are available for anon FTP (or were last time 
I looked).
Pick every 10000 lines out of them, query them (ANY?) and count.

Pair of facts beats house of supposition......

             Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, [email-masked]
+47 41 44 29 94
Personal email: [email-masked]