Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 06:52:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name Server Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Distributing Root Name Servers via Shared Unicast 
                          Addresses
	Author(s)	: T. Hardie
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 13-Oct-99
	
This memo describes a set of practices intended to enable a root
server operator to provide access to a single named root server in
multiple locations. This document presumes a one-to-one mapping
between named root servers and administrative entities (operators).
The primary motivation for the development of these practices is to
increase the distribution of root DNS servers to previously
under-served areas of the network topology and to reduce the latency
for DNS query responses in those areas.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.