Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:11:51 -0500 (CDT)

> 		no one is try to usurp anything.  The point of the draft
> 	is how do we provide *many* root (or tld) name servers on a single
> 	advertised IP address and manage them effectively.  Distribute route
> 	information, handle fault reporting. etc.

While this may seem a bit esoteric, it might be better from an overall 
functional viewpoint to apply the "physical/logical" paradigm to DNS root server 
hosting planning.  

Political and geographical boundaries can be considered as physical topological 
features; what we need to do is redraw those boundaries along Internet 
bandwidth/node density lines and create the ideal distribution of root servers 
based on this "logical" topology.

Of course, no matter now sensible and technically optimum any solution based on 
logical topology is, the grim reality is that politics will play a very big role 
in the final outcome, whether we like it or not.

RGF

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
Robert G. Ferrell
Internet Technologist
National Business Center-Texas, US DoI  [email-masked]
***************************************************************
private static class NT extends DOS implements Nothing {
***************************************************************

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 99 21:23:11 JST

Robert;

> based on this "logical" topology.

Why do you think we have to draw the boundaries, even though we
can have as many root servers as we want?

							Masataka Ohta