Subject: experimental numbers

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:41:19 +0930

as   4128
ip   192.83.230.1

the big question, to me, is what phone number and email address goes in the
asn registration and irr entries.  i.e. who takes the calls?

masataka, do you want a separate mailing list for this?  i can set one up on
ops.ietf.org if you wish.

randy

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 0 8:04:29 JST

Randy;

> asn registration and irr entries.  i.e. who takes the calls?

For the time being, me, perhaps. Later, if the concept is proven
to work, see the draft on how to find the contact. Irr entries should, then,
contain information clearly bogus, such as "[email-masked]".

> ops.ietf.org if you wish.

Thank you. Please provide one.

						Masataka Ohta

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 0 9:57:19 JST

Randy;

> > ops.ietf.org if you wish.

If you are suggesting to direct mails to the mailing list, I
agree with you.

A very rough draft ID is attached.

					Masataka Ohta

INTERNET DRAFT                    M. Ohta, Tokyo Institute of Technology
draft-ietf-dnsop-ohta-shared-root-server-test-00.txt
                                                              April 2000

     Testing Root Name Servers with Inter Domain Anycast Addresses

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

   This memo describes an environment to test a proposal to have root
   name servers with shared unicast addresses described in <draft-ietf-
   dnsop-ohta-shared-root-server-??.txt>.

1. Introduction

   In [SRS], there is a proposal to have multiple name servers sharing
   unicast (anycast) addresses. The proposal is designed to work in
   intra domain environment with route registries by using multiple ASes
   sharing AS numbers.

   This memo describes an environment to test the proposal.

   While the proposal is on root domain using multiple unicast (anycast)
   addresses and (anycast) AS numbers, the experiment is on a real but
   non-root domain using only one unicast address and one AS number.

2. IP addresses

M. Ohta                Expires on October 1, 2000               [Page 1]

INTERNET DRAFTTesting Name Servers with a Anycast Address     April 2000

   A block of IP addresses:

      192.83.240/24

which is expected to be globally routable, is reserved for the test.

   The DNS servers share an IP address of:

      192.83.230.1

3. AS number

   AS 4128 is used for the test.

4. Domains

   The initial domains to be served by the DNS servers are:

      real-internet.org.  psg.com.

   There may be additional domains tested.

5. Participants

   The initial participants of the test are as follows:

      Frederico A. C. Neves <[email-masked]> Masataka Ohta <mohta@real-
      internet.org> Randy Bush <[email-masked]> Stacy Smith
      <[email-masked]>

6. Mailing List

   Mailing list for the test is:

   if you are interested in joining (or just watching) the test, send
   "???" to "???".

7. Contact

   If there is something wrong with route information from AS 4128, the
   author of the memo or the mailing list for the test may be contacted.

   However, for direct contact to the source of the problem, the contact
   person of an AS next to AS 4128 in the AS path of problematic route
   information should be contacted as described in [SRS].

8. References

M. Ohta                Expires on October 1, 2000               [Page 2]

INTERNET DRAFTTesting Name Servers with a Anycast Address     April 2000

   [SRS] <draft-ietf-dnsop-ohta-shared-root-server-??.txt>.

9. Author's Address

   Masataka Ohta
   Computer Center
   Tokyo Institute of Technology
   2-12-1, O-okayama, Meguro-ku
   Tokyo 152-8550, JAPAN

   Phone: +81-3-5734-3299
   Fax: +81-3-5734-3415
   EMail: [email-masked]

M. Ohta                Expires on October 1, 2000               [Page 3]

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:47:03 +0930

>> masataka, do you want a separate mailing list for this?  i can set one up
>> on ops.ietf.org if you wish.

[email-masked]
majordomo
archived at ftp://ops.ietf.org:/pub/lists/aroot*

randy