Subject: statistics for record types

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:03:00 -0800

Anybody know of any stats on the percentages of resource records used in
queries? My guess would be that A and PTR records make up the bulk,
followed by NS then MX, and stuff like TXT, HINFO, etc being tiny.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                            [email-masked]
+1-650-685-0557                                    http://www.ehsco.com

---

From: Jamie Rishaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 11:13:15 -0800

Look for NSTATS in your daemon or named log.

It has all this info.

Here's one from a box of mine :

Jan 24 16:58:59 x named[3127]: NSTATS 948761939 948254515 A=169332 NS=5 CNAME=55 SOA=8914 PTR=6427 MX=2875 TXT=19 AAAA=189 AXFR=31 ANY=374

Check docs for info on what all this means :)

-- 
jamie rishaw (efnet:gavroche) -- Exodus Communications, Inc.
Senior Network Engineer, Los Angeles / SoCal Data Centers

---

From: "Cricket Liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:41:11 -0700

> followed by NS then MX, and stuff like TXT, HINFO, etc being tiny.

Actually, I'd expect more MX queries than NS queries.  Name servers don't
send explicit NS queries that often (except in system queries), though they
often get responses that include NS records.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
[email-masked]
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:26:25 -0800

> A=169332 NS=5 CNAME=55 SOA=8914 PTR=6427 MX=2875 TXT=19 AAAA=189
> AXFR=31 ANY=374

Interesting that the PTR and MX counters are low. Also interesting that
you have IPv6 queries. What's the usage of this site?

I guess the true answer to what I'm looking for is (as usual) "it
depends on your usage."

I guess a dedicated/predominate Web/SMTP site would generate a
substantial amount of outbound PTR traffic. At the same time, clients
connecting to web/mail servers may or may not result in a lot of PTR
queries, depending on how the server is configured (the logging level
and PTR switches). I'd also expect that a lot of university and home
traffic would have low PTR levels if there was a lot of gaming traffic.

Cricket's observation of low NS queries makes sense and is reflected
here as well.