Subject: Broken mailer at cafax.se.

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:57:32 +0200 (MEST)

Friends,

On October 6 I upgraded sendmail to version 8.12.1 on nic.cafax.se,
the box that handles the lists mentioned above. It's now clear that
that version contains a serious bug that shows its ugly face on NetBSD
and some other OSs, but only when you try to send mail by forking off a
new sendmail, and you happen to be a non-root user. This is true for
local users with old MUAs, and for Majordomo. This is not true for
most part of the mail traffic (including my own) that goes through
that machine. My friend Johnny (local user) spotted the problmem on
the 10th, and the problem was worked around. The bug was identified
and a final fix was installed on the 12th.

The consequence of the bug is that messages to lists managed by
Majordomo on my box, just "disappeared" without any more alarm than a
silent whisper in the log file, in the style of:

Oct 10 13:54:57 nic sendmail[6978]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(majordom):
  drop_privileges: setgid(14) failed: Operation not permitted

This mainly hit the lists

  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]

If you sent a message to any of the above lists during the period
October 6 - October 12, I'll have to ask you to resend it. It didn't
even reach the mail archives at nic.cafax.se.

My profuse apologies. :-(

				Best regards,
				  /Liman
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Lars-Johan Liman		! E-mail: [email-masked]
# Senior Systems Specialist     ! HTTP  : //www.autonomica.se/
# Autonomica AB, Stockholm 	! Voice : +46 8 - 615 85 72
#----------------------------------------------------------------------