Subject: hostnames of NS in the root zone

From: Regis Desmeules <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:07:38 -0400

Hi there,

As you know, the ccTLD announce the list of their NS through the root zone. 
In order to add/modify/remvove NS, the IANA provides a template to list the 
primary/secondary hostnames and netaddress of each NS of a ccTLD. I have 
specific questions regarding the primary/secondary hostname that must be 
filled there.

When I display the list of NS of ccTLDs such as .au, .uk, .jp, .nl and so 
on, I realise that no one uses hostname within its first-level domain. The 
ccTLDs publish rather hostnames within second-level domain (for the NS on 
same root). Is-there any reason about that ?

Suppose I'm the ccTLD .country and I would like to put ns1.country as 
primary/seconday hostnames (instead of ns1.foo.country) in the root zone 
file, is there any issue or specific problem about that ? Theorically, it 
seems to work fine.

Advantages/disavantages ?
Do you recommend that practice (yes/no) ?
Why/ why not ?

Regis

[email-masked]
PGP: 06C1 D8DE E290 F96F CA81 B200 1A90 41AB D42F F6E1

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscripbe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:56:29 +0200

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:07:38AM -0400,
 Regis Desmeules <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> on, I realise that no one uses hostname within its first-level
> domain. 

Counter-examples (not all of them ccTLD but it should not make any
difference):

* .museum is served by nic.museum
* .bd is (badly, but for other reasons) served by dns.bd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:50:27 +0200

> * .bd is (badly, but for other reasons) served by dns.bd

.no is served by nac.no. Has been for many years. I believe nac.no
started out as a Sun-3/60. It's a bit more modern and powerful now :-)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email-masked]
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscripbe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.