Subject: DoS and anycast

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2 21:16:38 JST

Isn't prevention of DoS attack on root servers a good enough reason
to deploy anycast?

							Masataka Ohta
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscripbe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:52:29 -0800 (PST)

% Isn't prevention of DoS attack on root servers a good enough reason
% to deploy anycast?
% 
% 							Masataka Ohta

	anycast will not prevent DoS attacks.  

--bill

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:47:19 -0800

To answer what I assume is your intended question: yes (IMHO).

(Anycast does not, of course, prevent DoS attacks, it merely reduces the
chances that the DoS attack will be able to make the IP address used for
root DNS service unavailable to all requestors)

The DoS/DDoS threat to the roots has been known for a very long time.  It is
crazy that more steps have not been taken to ameliorate that threat as much
as possible.  The fact that 9 of the 13 roots could be taken out with such a
feeble attack (ICMP for $diety's sake) is simply offensive.

Rgds,
-drc