Subject: a new draft on AAAA queries

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:20:18 +0900

In response to a discussion in the v6ops wg, we submitted a new
individual draft (see below) that discusses problematics issues wrt
AAAA queries.

Though the background of the draft is a v6ops discussion, we authors
believe we can get nice feedback from dnsop because the issues are
basically general DNS topics.

The draft may still be incomplete or even be incorrect in some points,
so any comments, corrections, or additional cases would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:51:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Common Misbehavior against DNS Queries for IPv6 
                          Addresses
	Author(s)	: Y. Morishita, T. Jinmei
	Filename	: draft-morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2003-6-17
	
There is some known misbehavior of DNS authoritative servers when
they are queried for AAAA resource records.  Such behavior can block
IPv4 communication which should actually be available, cause a
significant delay in name resolution, or even make a denial of
service attack.  This memo describes details of the known cases and
discusses the effect.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.