Subject: so how about that response size draft?

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:30:49 +0000

akira and i both hoped that it would be adopted as a DNSOP work item
but the discussion of this in san francisco was inconclusive and there
has been no subsequent discussion here on the mailing list.

a draft cutoff date looms.  should this i-d have "-dnsop-" in its name?

note that we also showed this draft to some of icann/iana's people and
they were happy to see it.  therefore it may have some applicability to
somebody.  should DNSOP "adopt" it and do the fold-spindle-mutilate thing?

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:24:49 +0200 (CEST)

> a draft cutoff date looms.  should this i-d have "-dnsop-" in its name?

I think the wg should adopt this document.

	jakob

-- 
Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>                Network Analyst
Phone:  +46 31 701 42 13, +46 70 595 07 94   Carlstedt Research & Technology
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:31:56 +1000

> a draft cutoff date looms.  should this i-d have "-dnsop-" in its name?

I would like to see this adopted and published as a dnsop work item.

-George
-- 
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: [email-masked]    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064
Phone: +61 7 3367 0490  |  Australia
  Fax: +61 7 3367 0482  |  http://www.apnic.net
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:18:09 +0200

>  a draft cutoff date looms.  should this i-d have "-dnsop-" in its name?

	I have not yet seen the draft itself, and I regret that I wasn't 
there for the discussion.  However, this is a topic that I have been 
very concerned about since 95-96, back when we were trying to list 
all 45 IP addresses for the MXes for aol.com and we were blowing the 
DNS UDP packet size limits on responses, and then seeing all sorts of 
weirdness with people being unable to reach us.

	Out of curiosity, does anyone remember when the root servers 
switched to their current naming scheme?  I'm interested to know who 
came up with that idea first....

>  somebody.  should DNSOP "adopt" it and do the fold-spindle-mutilate thing?

	I believe that DNSOP should adopt this draft.

-- 
Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
     -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.

GCS/IT d+(-) s:+(++)>: a C++(+++)$ UMBSHI++++$ P+>++ L+ !E-(---) W+++(--) N+
!w--- O- M++ V PS++(+++) PE- Y+(++) PGP>+++ t+(+++) 5++(+++) X++(+++) R+(+++)
tv+(+++) b+(++++) DI+(++++) D+(++) G+(++++) e++>++++ h--- r---(+++)* z(+++)
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: "Scott Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:28:52 -0400

I am in favor of this draft becoming a working group item.  At least that
way it will be (hopefully) read and discussed.

Scott

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:59:09 -0700

> somebody.  should DNSOP "adopt" it and do the fold-spindle-mutilate thing?

draft name?

and is it protocol or practice?

randy

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:31:56 +1000

-George

---

From: Mohsen Souissi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:10:07 +0200

IMHO, this draft is and will be very useful for the DNSv6 community. 

As far as AFNIC (the French Registry) is concerned, this draft is
directly applicable. It has already helped us to prove to IANA's
people that there were no technical issues in putting glue AAAA
records in root zone (for ns3.nic.fr for instance, serving fr
zone). We are waiting for further layer-9 processing ;-)

In one word, dnsop should adopt this document.

Thank you Akira and Paul for that work.

Mohsen.

On 15 Jun, Paul Vixie wrote:
| akira and i both hoped that it would be adopted as a DNSOP work item
| but the discussion of this in san francisco was inconclusive and there
| has been no subsequent discussion here on the mailing list.
| 
| a draft cutoff date looms.  should this i-d have "-dnsop-" in its name?
| 
| note that we also showed this draft to some of icann/iana's people and
| they were happy to see it.  therefore it may have some applicability to
| somebody.  should DNSOP "adopt" it and do the fold-spindle-mutilate thing?
| 
| 
| #----------------------------------------------------------------------
| # To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:36:45 -0400

>and is it protocol or practice?

It's an observation about the protocol that has an impact on the practice.

The protocol definition cares not how long the messages are (up to 
some big limit), the protocol is indifferent about whether the end 
user waits for out a TC-induced retry and is also indifferent about 
the size of the server needed to keep this down.

The observations will help drive the policies regarding when glue 
records are admitted to a zone, when a AAAA replaces a A, etc. 
(E.g., what Mohsen Souissi said.)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

...as graceful as a blindfolded bull in a china shop...
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:02:36 -0700

> somebody.  should DNSOP "adopt" it and do the fold-spindle-mutilate thing?

As one of the icann/iana people who found the draft extremely helpful, 
and would like to cite it, by all means...

Kent

-- 
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Manager of Technical Operations, ICANN      lonesome."
[email-masked],[email-masked]                    -- Mark Twain
               p: +1 310 823 9358  f: +1 310 823 8649
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.