Subject: Preconfigured DNS

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:06:43 +0859 ()

So, the only reasonable requirement so far is, as Rob Austin
has seemingly presented (I was not at the meeting):

	remove configuration of recursive server addresses at
	installation

and attached memo is a, perhaps the best, solution.

Harmful complication caused by stateless/full autoconfiguration, false
security and site local scope are removed completely.

						Masataka Ohta

--

INTERNET DRAFT                                                   M. Ohta
draft-ohta-preconfigured-dns-00.txt        Tokyo Institute of Technology
                                                               July 2003

                   Preconfigured DNS Server Addresses

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to all provisions
   of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html The list of Internet-Draft
   Shadow Directories can be accessed at http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Abstract

   This memo describes how to make addresses of DNS servers
   preconfigured in clients.  Well known anycast addresses, which are
   assigned to DNS servers, should be preconfigured to resolvers of
   clients.

1. Introduction

   The requirement addressed by this memo is to eliminate configuration
   effort of DNS clients.

   This memo defines several IP addresses to be used as a well known
   anycast IP addresses of DNS servers.

   The addresses are intended to be preconfigured to client resolvers to
   reduce (or eliminate) initial configuration effort on clients.

   This memo also describes sever and client operations.

2. Server Operation

   To serve stub resolvers, preconfigured DNS servers MUST offer

M. Ohta               Expires on January 20, 2004               [Page 1]

INTERNET DRAFT     Preconfigured DNS Server Addresses          July 2003

   recursive service if requested by their clients.

   While it should be assumed that the clients have no information to
   validate their identities to the servers, the servers may still limit
   their services to valid clients based on some (autoconfigured)
   property of the clients. For (perhaps the only) example, the servers
   may reply to requests from clients with certain ranges of IP
   addresses only.

3. Client Operation

   Clients SHOULD behave as a stub resolver forwarding queries to any of
   the preconfigured anycast address.

   Client resolvers SHOULD NOT have SBELT (root server) information,
   because root servers and their addresses sometimes changes requiring
   reconfiguration.

   Client resolvers MAY be able to perform recursive queries.

4. Assigned Addresses

   The following three IPv4 addresses are assigned as preconfigured DNS
   server addresses:

      <to be assigned by IANA>

      <to be assigned by IANA>

      <to be assigned by IANA>

   route information of which should be propagated with a netmask of

      <to be assigned by IANA>

   The following three IPv6 addresses are assigned as preconfigured DNS
   server addresses:

      <to be assigned by IANA>

      <to be assigned by IANA>

      <to be assigned by IANA>

   route information of which should be propagated with a netmask of

      <to be assigned by IANA>

M. Ohta               Expires on January 20, 2004               [Page 2]

INTERNET DRAFT     Preconfigured DNS Server Addresses          July 2003

   A client resolver can receive a UDP reply from an IP address
   different from one used to send a corresponding query, that UDP reply
   may use source address of non-anycast IP address of server.

   However, such a behavior is not available with TCP and anycast IP
   addresses MUST be used as source addresses of reply packets of TCP.

4.1. Scope Considerations

   The assigned anycast addresses are globally well known and have
   global scopes.

   On the other hand, servers with the anycast addresses have local
   scopes, boundaries between them is determined by a routing system.

   The boundaries many be dynamically determined with routing metric.

   In addition, route administrators may configure static boundaries.

   While there may be static boundaries at site boundaries, always
   requiring them eliminates useful cases, for example, of ISPs
   providing DNS servers for customer sites.

   Within a static boundary, there may be a single server for each
   anycast address, or there may be multiple servers sharing an anycast
   address, which may be useful for load distribution.

   Even if identities of the servers changes dynamically between a query
   and its reply, a simple exchange of UDP packets is not affected and
   TCP transactions detect sequence number inconsistencies and should
   attempt new ones.

   However, having multiple servers sharing an anycast address within a
   static boundary does not improve redundancy, because a DNS process on
   a server may die while a route to the server is still alive.

   Three anycast addresses are provided for the redundancy.

5. Security Considerations

   Cryptographic security requires some information securely (at least
   with authentication, even when public key cryptography is used)
   shared between servers and clients, which requires manual
   configuration.

   Thus, no cryptographic security, which makes the protocol complex
   with no security improvement, should be used by preconfigured client
   resolvers.

M. Ohta               Expires on January 20, 2004               [Page 3]

INTERNET DRAFT     Preconfigured DNS Server Addresses          July 2003

   The DNS server with the preconfigured addresses are still reasonably
   reliable, if local environment is reasonably secure, that is, there
   is no active attackers receiving queries to the anycast addresses of
   the servers and reply to them.

6. Author's Address

   Masataka Ohta
   Graduate School of Information Science and Engineering
   Tokyo Institute of Technology
   2-12-1, O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, JAPAN

   Phone: +81-3-5734-3299
   Fax: +81-3-5734-3299
   EMail: [email-masked]

M. Ohta               Expires on January 20, 2004               [Page 4]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# To unsubscribe, send a message to <[email-masked]>.

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:13:00 +0859 ()

I have (formally) submitted draft-ohta-preconfigured-dns-00.txt
as a new ID.

No RA. Not even DHCP(-lite).

And it is so DNS centric to spend, though locally, a few routing
table entries for DNS.

Does it satisfy you?

						Masataka Ohta