Subject: [dnsop] nanog32 cache server presentation and I-D

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:37:16 +0900 (JST)

Hello, I'm Kazunori Fujiwara, work for JPRS (.JP Registry company).

We made a presentation "DNS Anomalies and Their Impact on DNS Cache
Servers" at NANOG 32 meeting yesterday (speakers are two of
co-authors).

	http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0410/toyama.html

In this presentation, we reported two DNS cache server problems, one
is caused by worms bug and the other is caused by authoritative
servers' misconfigration.

The latter case, we are proposing re-checking authoritative servers
and DNS resolver's desirable behavior. This issue seems to be suitable
for IETF. Therefore, we posted this issue as an Internet-Draft.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-bad-dns-auth-00.txt

But my mistake, it is not associated to dnsop WG. Next time, I'll do
right method.

My idea for this I-D is:
 - minimum change to current standards
   - TCP queries and EDNS0 are mandatory
 - to save resolver servers which need to cope with.

We need comments.

I think that the following renewal is necessary.

- section 4.2: add the detailed algorithm for resolver improvement
- section 4.1: need careful consideration for path MTU and EDNS0
- section 2: need more information
- check some typos

Regards, 

--
Fujiwara, Kazunori	JPRS
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html