Subject: Re: [dnsop] Re: Root Anycast (fwd)

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:36:39 +0200

[[email-masked] stripped from recipients]

> 3.  With respect to Joe's question about are there numbers for DNS use
>      of IP protocols (UDP vs TCP).  Yes, there are.  RIPE published or
>      publishes traffic numbers.  I'm not sure if the  URL's I have are 
> 
>      "public" or not.  Ask them.   Or do a little NetFlow work of your
>      own.....

FYI:

http://k.root-servers.org    [.org !!!]

contains statistics on the "global" (Amsterdam and London)
and "local" anycast instances of k.root-servers.net.

There are counts on the amount of queries over TCP transport (e.g
http://k.root-servers.org/stats/linx/xstats_RTCP-daily.html). 

-- Olaf

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:54:37 +0200

On 5-okt-04, at 16:04, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

>>     Well, TLD servers get much more (legitimate) queries than the 
>> roots

> Define "much more". What do you mean, absolute numbers of queries
> or relative compared to the total query load?

Absolute number of queries that are made because a client legitimately 
doesn't know something and wants to find out. Now obviously for the 
roots this number is fairly insignificant as I gather that 98% of all 
queries are done for different reasons. But we don't really care much 
whether those don't work, do we?

> Do you have data to back up this claim?

Just common sense.

>>     because there is only so much you can ask the roots before the 
>> entire
>>     root zone is in your cache. This is slightly harder with .com, for
>>     instance.  :-)

> The contents of a cache depends of the query pattern of the
> clients, not on the size of a zone.

The sizes of the zones for the root and .com are somewhere in the order 
of 100 and 10 million, respectively. So even if someone is interested 
in ALL the information in the root, the number of queries to the .com 
servers will be higher if that same person is interested in more than a 
thousandth of a percent of the information in the .com zone. I believe 
this to be true for most user populations.

.