Subject: [dnsop] Complaint about inappropriate behavior by Stephane Bortzmeyer

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:22:19 -0400 (EDT)

The following message by Stephane Bortzmeye includes an inappropriate
personal attack in violation of the following sections of the ISOC Code of
Conduct:  http://www.isoc.org/members/codeconduct.shtml

7  Only offer or claim to offer opinions or services that lie within the 
   member's actual knowledge or competence.

8  In the case of financial or material conflict between personal and 
   professional interests, or between two professional interests, declare 
   this conflict to all interested parties and if appropriate in public.

9  Respect the generally accepted norms of Internet etiquette for human 
   communications, especially by avoiding communications that are false or 
   are likely to be considered as discourteous, objectionable, malicious, 
   unwanted, or causing unjustified loss of prestige. Avoid fraudulent or 
   deceptive statements. 

11 Treat all users and colleagues fairly and on equal terms.

And the message violates the following sections of the IETF Guidelines for 
Conduct RFC 3184:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3184.txt?number=3184

1. IETF participants extend respect and courtesy to their colleagues
      at all times.

      IETF participants come from diverse origins and backgrounds and
      are equipped with multiple capabilities and ideals.  Regardless of
      these individual differences, participants treat their colleagues
      with respect as persons--especially when it is difficult to agree
      with them.  Seeing from another's point of view is often
      revealing, even when it fails to be compelling.
      English is the de facto language of the IETF, but it is not the
      native language of many IETF participants.  Native English
      speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to limit
      the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all
      listeners.

   2. IETF participants develop and test ideas impartially, without
      finding fault with the colleague proposing the idea.

      We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument, rather than through
      intimidation or ad hominem attack.  Or, said in a somewhat more
      IETF-like way:

            "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000   

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 20:42:17 +0100
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dnsop] Re: Root Anycast

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:48:37PM -0400,
 Dean Anderson <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 56 lines which said:

> If Av8 turns on PPLB, traffic to F-root will go through both sprint
> and att on a per-packet basis.

Troll Bot <[email-masked]> keeps mentioning PPLB. May be some people
more knowledgeable about BGP than I am will explain to me why PPLB is
such a new issue for anycasting?

Even without PPLB, the simple and normal (though infrequent) change of
the routes by BGP may disturb existing TCP sessions if the target is
anycasted. This is why anycast is currently deployed only on
mostly-UDP services like the DNS.

So, it seems there is nothing new coming from the PPLB thing.
.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Brown wrote:

> Copyright 2004, John Brown, All rights reserved, redistribution requires 
> prior written permission of the Author / Copyright Holder.
> 
> Dean,
> 
> I would say that per Section 7 that as a member I have actual knowledge 
> and thus offer the opinion that your actions on this and other lists 
> that I've seen you post to, does not enhance the list, does not add 
> value to the process.  Instead your actions are clearly intended to 
> disrupt and distract.
>
> If it was up to me, I'd remove your account until such time as you 
> learned to play well with others.

You are the one who can't make any other argument except name-calling.  

Name-calling does not enhance the list, and does not add value to the 
process. Name-calling disrupts and distracts attention from technical 
issues.

Indeed, the original anycast discussion in 2002 was disrupted by
name-calling and other attacks on Dr. Bernstein.  Strangely enough, many
of the same people are now attacking me.  

It is your actions that are __intended__ to disrupt and distract. 
Otherwise, you'd have technical arguments that didn't depend on 
personal attacks.

		--Dean

> Copyright 2004, John Brown, All rights reserved, redistribution requires 
> prior written permission of the Author / Copyright Holder.
> 
> 
> 
> Dean Anderson wrote:

.