Subject: [dnsop] Comments on draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-05.txt

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:13:38 +0200

Hello Daniel,

In "draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-05.txt" you write:

   RIPE appears to have the strongest policy in this area [ripe-185]
   indicating Local Internet Registries are required to perform
   IN-ADDR services, and delegate those as appropriate when address
   blocks are delegated.

RIPE-185 has been obsoleted

The correct reference is to RIPE NCCs reverse delegation policy is
 
 RIPE-302: Policy for Reverse Address Delegation of IPv4 and IPv6
 Address Space in the RIPE NCC Service Region, 
 (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/rev-del.html)

There are no "requirements" for Local Internet Registries in this,
or any other of our policy documents.

To the suggestion that

   Regional Registries and any Local Registries to whom they delegate
   SHOULD establish and convey a policy to those to whom they delegate
   blocks that IN-ADDR mappings are required.  Policies SHOULD require
   those receiving delegations to provide IN-ADDR service and/or
   delegate to downstream customers..

Formally Regional Registries do not set policy, it is the community
that does so in a bottom up process. Besides these kind of policies
are hard to enforce. This is one of the reason that RIPE 302
essentially reads that the RIPE NCC provide the reverse delegation
service to the relevant LIRs, nothing more and nothing less.

In other words this is one of the places where the normative language
is orthogonal to reality. When the normative language is dropped the
document is much more useful as it can be used as a reference when
"we" are trying to convince folk that enabling reverse delegation is
actually a good idea.

I have difficulties with coming up with a good suggestion for text that
would capture that.

-- Olaf Kolkman
   New Projects, RIPE NCC

---------------------------------| Olaf M. Kolkman
---------------------------------| RIPE NCC

.
dnsop resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/dnsop/index.html