Subject: [DNSOP] draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-07

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:26:30 -0400

Hi all,

I have reviewed draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-07, as I promised to do in  
Prague.

    2.1.5. DNS label compression allows a domain name to be instantiated
    only once per DNS message, and then referenced with a two-octet
    "pointer" from other locations in that same DNS message (see  
[RFC1035
    4.1.4]).  If all nameserver names in a message share a common parent
    (for example, all ending in ".ROOT-SERVERS.NET"), then more space  
will
    be available for incompressable data (such as nameserver addresses).

I think this should say "... allows the component labels of a domain  
name to be instantiated exactly once per DNS message, and then  
referenced..." This is clearer to me than the text above, although I  
don't believe the original text is so confusing that this change is  
absolutely necessary.

I tested the source code and it works as advertised.

As a "zone owner" (to use this document's phrase), I found this  
document useful and clearly written, and support its publication in  
the RFC series, with or without the small change I suggested above.

I note that the idnits tool when run against this draft produces a  
small avalanche of issues, but I presume this is something to be  
figured out between the authors and the RFC editor rather than by  
this working group.

Joe

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 May 2007 16:35:11 +0000

> I have reviewed draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-07, as I promised to do in  

thanks!

>     "pointer" from other locations in that same DNS message ...
> 
> referenced..." This is clearer to me than the text above, ...

...but wrong.  label pointers aren't subroutine calls, they're goto's.  so
if you want to represent root-server.org and root-servers.net in the same
message, you will have to fully instantiate "root-servers" twice, even
though both of them could be followed by pointers to "net" and "org" if
those appear elsewhere in the message.

> the RFC series, with or without the small change I suggested above.

i hope that others report similarly, so that we can put this thing to bed.

> figured out between the authors and the RFC editor rather than by  

i promise that i'll stop producing drafts using nroff when jon's sed script
for removing the extra blank lines on the last page stops working.
-- 
Paul Vixie

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 May 2007 16:35:11 +0000

thanks!

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:22:41 -0400

> those appear elsewhere in the message.

Oh! I stand corrected. Thanks :-)

Joe

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:22:41 -0400

Joe