Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Proposed text for reverse-mapping-considerations draft

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:07:51 -0400

At 23:41 -0400 5/31/07, Dean Anderson wrote:

>I don't know of anyone ever using reverse DNS to enforce export control
>of crypto software.

We ("we" referring to my employer in 1997) did.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

Sarcasm doesn't scale.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:07:51 -0400

Sarcasm doesn't scale.

---

From: Russ Mundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:08:29 -0400

>We ("we" referring to my employer in 1997) did.

I can confirm Ed's point that reverse DNS lookup was the technique approved
by appropriate government officials when it was applied to at least some
export controlled software.  I think that 1997 was within the time frame it
was being used but I'm less certain about the dates that it was actually
required since the rule set changed over time - but it was required to make
our early early DNSSEC implementation available on an ftp server and was
considered adequate by the government officials (even though I always
thought that it was a Really Dumb control!).

Russ Mundy

---

From: Russ Mundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:08:29 -0400

Russ Mundy

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:36:15 -0400

>thought that it was a Really Dumb control!).

Well, you could (cynically) argue it was quite effective and 
efficient. And we are speaking from operational experience and not 
conjecture.

It was easy to set up and maintain.  (Low cost solution.)
No one who wanted and should have access was denied. (No false positives.)
No one reported the code being in the wrong hands. (No breaches.)

;)

Sarcasm doesn't scale.

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:36:15 -0400

;)

Sarcasm doesn't scale.