Subject: [DNSOP] /etc/hosts: "::1 localhost" or "::1 ip6-localhost" (or both and also make ip4-localhost) ?

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:14:17 +0100

(hmm not really a DNS thing but where else to put it ;)

Hi,

I've noted that on a variety of machines /etc/hosts finally do get
pre-configured with "::1 ip6-localhost", but should this not be "::1
localhost", so that any daemon doing getaddrinfo("localhost",...) and
binding to all the sockets that that produces correctly listens on both
127.0.0.1 and ::1 ?

I've grepped my drafts/rfc archives but, except for 4038 which shows a
"localhost. AAAA ::1 + A 127.0.0.1", I could not find a document
actually literally stating that "localhost" should both be for IPv6 and
IPv4. Also I can't seem to find any reference on ip6-localhost.

Any ideas?

Greets,
 Jeroen

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop