Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:30:03 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : DNS Referral Response Size Issues
	Author(s)       : P. Vixie, A. Kato
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2008-02-23

With a mandated default minimum maximum UDP message size of 512
octets, the DNS protocol presents some special problems for zones
wishing to expose a moderate or high number of authority servers (NS
RRs).  This document explains the operational issues caused by, or
related to this response size limit, and suggests ways to optimize
the use of this limited space.  Guidance is offered to DNS server
implementors and to DNS zone operators.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so checkFrom [email-masked]  Sat Feb 23 17:30:09 2008
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:30:03 -0800 (PST)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt
Sender: [email-masked]
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : DNS Referral Response Size Issues
	Author(s)       : P. Vixie, A. Kato
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2008-02-23

With a mandated default minimum maximum UDP message size of 512
octets, the DNS protocol presents some special problems for zones
wishing to expose a moderate or high number of authority servers (NS
RRs).  This document explains the operational issues caused by, or
related to this response size limit, and suggests ways to optimize
the use of this limited space.  Guidance is offered to DNS server
implementors and to DNS zone operators.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:04:04 +0100

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 05:30:03PM -0800,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-10.txt

IMHO, it addressed all the comments I've made.
_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:04:04 +0100