Subject: [DNSOP] draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-01

From: Matthijs Mekking <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:05:10 +0200

Hi,

I have read this draft and have some small comments.

First of all, is this draft about priming the NS RRset only, or should
it also consider priming trust anchors. Because you mention priming
queries from the dnsop-dnssec-trust-anchor draft, but you don't cover
these kind of priming queries. If this draft is about priming NS queries
only, you should make this more clear. By the way, a nit: it is not
common to refer to a document that is under revision.

In the introduction you show that the text in section 5.3.3. of RFC 1034
is out of date. Should this document update the RFC?

About 2.1. Target Selection: Can you include a reason why a resolver
MUST select the target randomly and with even probability? I guess it
makes guessing attacks harder or divides the load nicely between all
root servers. I am just curious what the reason is that resolvers *MUST*
do this.

About 2.3. Repeating Priming Queries: Again, what are the reasons for
these parameters? Is 75% if the TTL always more than 24hours?

I think this draft is helpful and I think it would be helpful to include
parameters of priming trust anchor queries.

Regards,

Matthijs
_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop