Subject: [DNSOP] Announcement: Test Report on DNSSEC impact on SOHO CPE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:16:25 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to announce the publication of a joint study entitled
"DNSSEC Impact on Broadband Routers and Firewalls", available for
download at:

  http://download.nominet.org.uk/dnssec-cpe/DNSSEC-CPE-ReFrom [email-masked]  Mon Sep 15 07:16:20 2008
To: IETF DNSOP WG <[email-masked]>
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:16:25 +0100
Subject: [DNSOP] Announcement: Test Report on DNSSEC impact on SOHO CPE
Sender: [email-masked]

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to announce the publication of a joint study entitled
"DNSSEC Impact on Broadband Routers and Firewalls", available for
download at:

  http://download.nominet.org.uk/dnssec-cpe/DNSSEC-CPE-Report.pdf

In summary (based on 24 tested units):

"... we conclude that just 6 units (25%) operate with full DNSSEC
 compatibility "out of the box."  9 units (37%) can be reconfigured to
 bypass DNS proxy incompatibilities.  Unfortunately, the rest (38%) lack
 reconfigurable DHCP DNS parameters, making it harder for LAN clients to
 bypass their interference with DNSSEC use.

 These findings, their potential impact on DNSSEC use by broadband
 consumers, and implications for router/firewall manufacturers, are
 presented and analyzed in this report. "

Ray Bellis
Senior Researcher in Advanced Projects
Nominet UK

Lisa A. Phifer
President, Core Competence, Inc.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

port.pdf

In summary (based on 24 tested units):

"... we conclude that just 6 units (25%) operate with full DNSSEC
 compatibility "out of the box."  9 units (37%) can be reconfigured to
 bypass DNS proxy incompatibilities.  Unfortunately, the rest (38%) lack
 reconfigurable DHCP DNS parameters, making it harder for LAN clients to
 bypass their interference with DNSSEC use.

 These findings, their potential impact on DNSSEC use by broadband
 consumers, and implications for router/firewall manufacturers, are
 presented and analyzed in this report. "

Ray Bellis
Senior Researcher in Advanced Projects
Nominet UK

Lisa A. Phifer
President, Core Competence, Inc.

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop