Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt

From: "Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:47:56 +0100

------- Forwarded message -------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:15:01 +0100

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts  
directories.

	Title           : Enhanced validation of domains for HTTP State  
Management Cookies using DNS
	Author(s)       : Y. Pettersen
	Filename        : draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2008-11-03

HTTP State Management Cookies are used for a wide variety of tasks on
the Internet, from preference handling to user identification.  An
important privacy and security feature of cookies is that their
information can only be sent to a servers in a limited namespace, the
domain.

The variation of domain structures that are in use by domain name
registries, especially the country code Top Level Domains (ccTLD)
namespaces, makes it difficult to determine what is a valid domain,
e.g. example.co.uk and example.no, which cookies should be permitted
for, and a registry-like domain (subTLDs) like co.uk where cookies
should not be permitted.

This document specifies an imperfect method using DNS name lookups
for cookie domains to determine if cookies can be permitted for that
domain, based on the assumption that most subTLD domains will not
haFrom [email-masked]  Mon Nov  3 14:56:27 2008
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
From: "Yngve N. Pettersen (Developer Opera Software ASA)" <[email-masked]>
Organization: Opera Software AS
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:47:56 +0100
Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt
Sender: [email-masked]

------- Forwarded message -------
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:15:01 +0100

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts  
directories.

	Title           : Enhanced validation of domains for HTTP State  
Management Cookies using DNS
	Author(s)       : Y. Pettersen
	Filename        : draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2008-11-03

HTTP State Management Cookies are used for a wide variety of tasks on
the Internet, from preference handling to user identification.  An
important privacy and security feature of cookies is that their
information can only be sent to a servers in a limited namespace, the
domain.

The variation of domain structures that are in use by domain name
registries, especially the country code Top Level Domains (ccTLD)
namespaces, makes it difficult to determine what is a valid domain,
e.g. example.co.uk and example.no, which cookies should be permitted
for, and a registry-like domain (subTLDs) like co.uk where cookies
should not be permitted.

This document specifies an imperfect method using DNS name lookups
for cookie domains to determine if cookies can be permitted for that
domain, based on the assumption that most subTLD domains will not
have an IP address assigned to them, while most legitimate services
that share cookies among multiple servers will have an IP address for
their domain name to make the user's navigation easier by omitting
the customary "www" prefix.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-- 
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen
 
********************************************************************
Senior Developer                     Email: [email-masked]
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 24 16 42 60              Fax:    +47 24 16 40 01
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop