Subject: Re: [DNSOP] WGLC: Requirements for Management of Name Servers for the DNS

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:14:28 -0700

>>>>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:44:42 -0700, Doug Barton <[email-masked]> said:
DB> I've read the draft at the URL above and am generally supportive of
DB> its moving forward.

Doug,

Thanks for responding with a review about the Management Requirements
document.  I've applied all your very useful changes to the draft.

I only had a question/comment about one of them:

DB> 3.1.1 Needed Control Operations
DB> The ability to do a reload on an individual zone should probably be
DB> mentioned here.

That's probably a good point but I think it's worth checking to make
sure anyone else reading this has a problem with this.  Supporting
partial reloads (be that split line along a zone data set or something
more granular) is potentially more intensive than a complete reload.

You're right the original text didn't really specify anything (though it
implied a complete reload).  How does this bullet replacement sound:

  OLD:     Reloading zone data
  NEW:     Reloading some or all of the zone data sets

I'm not sure "sets" should be in there or not...  I think it conveys the
boundary line better though.

-- 
"In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
 and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:20:52 -0700

>>>>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:42:39 -0700, SM <[email-masked]> said:

s> From the Abstract:

...

Thanks for the comments on the draft; I've incorporated all of your changes.
-- 
"In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
 and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:23:32 -0700

>>>>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:40:35 -0700, Doug Barton <[email-masked]> said:

DB> That part of the sentence I quoted verbatim from the existing text in
DB> an effort to minimize the changes. I think removing "DNS" from the
DB> original further improves the text along the lines you pointed out.

I've done just that, FYI.  It's left saying just "name servers".
-- 
"In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
 and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:25:15 -0700

> document.  I've applied all your very useful changes to the draft.

I'm glad to be of service. :)

> boundary line better though.

That wording may imply granularity at less than the zone level, which
I'm not suggesting but would not be opposed to.

In regards to the necessity of supporting reloading of less than the
whole server, when I was at Yahoo! I had well over 500,000 zones
configured on the name servers we used for our registrar-reseller
operation. A cold start/full reload of those name servers took a very
long time, IIRC somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 minutes. While we
had redundant systems that handled the load for the occasional cold
start, knocking the whole server off line for 20 minutes every time a
user made a change to their zone (or the system did it for them) would
have resulted in effectively no name service at all. Individual zone
reloads are essential in this environment, and I believe they are a
requirement for any kind of DNS management system.

hope this helps,

Doug

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:55:05 -0700

>>>>> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:25:15 -0700, Doug Barton <[email-masked]> said:

>> NEW:     Reloading some or all of the zone data sets

DB> That wording may imply granularity at less than the zone level, which
DB> I'm not suggesting but would not be opposed to.

Ok, how about two bullets then:

	      Reloading of all of the zone data
	      Reloading of individual zone data sets

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:18:43 -0700

> 	      Reloading of individual zone data sets
That seems clearer to me.

Regards,

Doug