Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:15:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : AS112 Nameserver Operations
	Author(s)       : J. Abley, W. Maton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-05.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2010-11-10

Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
are not globally-unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
RFC1918 for private use within individual sites.

Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
the root and IN-ADDR.ARPA authoritative servers.

The AS112 project is named after the Autonomous System Number (ASN)
that was assigned to it.

This document describes the steps required to install a new AS112
node, and offers advice relating to such a node's operation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.