Subject: Re: [DNSOP] draft-liman-tld-names-04

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:28:57 +0100

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 02:44:44PM -0800,
 Doug Barton <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 113 lines which said:

> I'm 100% sure that there is deployed software that WILL break if you
> have a TLD label that even starts with a number, never mind is
> all-numeric

We can test with the pseudo-TLD "42.". Here is the configuration
required to use it with Unbound:

# .42  http://42registry.org/ 
domain-insecure: "42"
stub-zone:
   name: "42"
   stub-addr: 91.191.147.246
   stub-addr: 91.191.147.243

It is open to zone transfers so you can know what is inside. Tests
seem to indicate that Windows Vista has problems
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947228> as well as Google Chrome (I
cannot reproduce these ones).

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:11:24 +1100

> cannot reproduce these ones).

I just had one of our guys have a quick look at a sample of real
life response traffic.  0.015% appears to have a numeric tld.  Having
a quick look at that sample I see service discover on IP addresses
being performed (i.e. recent code).  I also see raw IP addresses.
I see what appears to be IP addresses being used as a search list
element.

Mark
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]