Subject: [DNSOP] Document Action: 'Requirements for Management of Name Servers for the DNS' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnsop-name-server-management-reqs-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:14:37 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for Management of Name Servers for the DNS'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-name-server-management-reqs-05.txt) as an
Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-name-server-management-reqs/

Technical Summary 

Management of name servers for the Domain Name System (DNS) has
traditionally been done using vendor-specific configuration and control
methods.  Although some service monitoring platforms can test the
functionality of the DNS itself there is not an interoperable way to
manage (control, configure, and monitor) the internal aspects of a name
server itself.

This document discusses the requirements of a management system, protocol
or framework for name servers and can be used as a shopping list of needed
features for such a system.

Working Group Summary 

The document represents the consensus of the Working Group.

Document Quality 

The document provides a set of requirements rather than a design of a
protocol. However, followup work has already been started within the IETF
to develop a framework based on this document.

Personnel

Peter Kock is document shepherd.