Subject: Re: [DNSOP] [as112-ops] Request to adopt draft-sotomayor-as112-ipv4-cull as WG item (fwd)

From: Aleksi Suhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:25:34 +0300

Hello,

Joe Abley wrote:
> I think that we need a better mechanism to avoid lame delegations to the
> AS112 servers, given their loosely-coordinated nature.

> I like the idea that came up in Québec (which I shall attribute to
> Warren Kumari since I've seen other people do that, although I was not
> in the room at the time) that the add/drop problem is a lot simpler if
> every AS112 node hosts the zone

+1

> $ORIGIN .
> @ SOA ...
> NS something
> NS sensible

I think the AS112 root zone database could look something like this:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 3600000
.				IN SOA	<node-fqdn> <node-contact> (
	2012041200 3600 900 604800 86400 )
.				IN NS	as112-tracker.dns-oarc.net.
.				IN NS	blackhole-1.as112.net.
.				IN NS	blackhole-2.as112.net.
as112-tracker.dns-oarc.net.	IN A	<something>
as112-tracker.dns-oarc.net.	IN AAAA	<something>
blackhole-1.as112.net.		IN A	<something>
blackhole-1.as112.net.		IN AAAA	<something>
blackhole-2.as112.net.		IN A	<something>
blackhole-2.as112.net.		IN AAAA	<something>
hostname.as112.net.		IN TXT	"<organization>, <location>"
hostname.as112.net.		IN TXT	"See http://as112.net/ for more information."
hostname.as112.net.		IN LOC	<something>

Purpose of this tracker is to allow WfMS et al to know where all the 
nodes are. The node-fqdn is supposed to be a unicast (as opposed to 
anycast) address and it should also be configured as the notify-source.

> and answers authoritatively on the addresses corresponding to
> "something" and "sensible", returning NXDOMAIN for everything in the
> entire namespace apart from . (for which they ought never receive
> queries anyway). This is ugly to some eyes, but it works for domainers
> and it ought to work for us too. Any zones that were subsequently
> delegated to "something" and "sensible" (e.g. as part of an IANA action)
> would be immediately supported with no need for changes on any of the
> nodes offering service for "something" and "sensible".

As in my example above, the empty "fake root zone" needs to still have 
at least hostname.as112.net as well...

> This document (as112-cull) attempts to do some of this work, but I don't
> see a reason to bite off small mouthfuls if we can expend a small amount
> of extra effort and eat the whole sandwich at once.

Hear hear.

-- 
         Aleksi Suhonen