Subject: [DNSOP] Recovering from loss of DNSSEC private keys

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:45:00 +0100

Your master nameserver has died. You just found out your backups are
unreadable. Your disaster recovery plan is in tatters. But there's no
need to panic!

The easy answer in this situation is to delete your DS record(s) from
the parent zone to go insecure, then reconstruct your DNS setup with
new keys, before adding new DS records to re-establish a chain of
trust.

But if you have a copy of the zone, with signature and public keys, but
not the private keys, it is still just about possible to transition to a
new set of keys without breaking the chain of trust. The key observation
is that some of the standard key rollover procedures can mostly be
performed without generating new signatures with the old private key.

The process goes like this:

(1) Set up the existing zone on your new master. Generate new keys -
you can't publish them yet because you can't make any changes to the
zone without the old private keys.

(2) Add DS record(s) to your parent zone corresponding to your new
KSK, and keep the old DS record(s). Wait for the DS RRset TTL so that
the old records expire. Now everyone is prepared to trust your new
KSK.

(3) Add the new KSK and ZSK public keys to the DNSKEY RRset and sign
it with the new KSK. The rest of the zone remains signed with the old
ZSK. There is a problem here in that you can't update the SOA serial
number, so you need to use underhanded means to update the slaves
with the new zone. Wait for the DNSKEY RRset TTL. Now everyone is
willing and able to validate signatures made with your new keys,
and can still validate old signatures.

(4) Re-sign the rest of the zone with the new ZSK. Wait for the zone's
maximum TTL. Now no-one has any signatures made with the old keys.

(5) Clean up by deleting the old DS record(s) from the parent and the
old public keys from the DNSKEY RRset.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.