Subject: [DNSOP] Document Action: 'DNS Terminology' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:34:39 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS Terminology'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology/

Technical Summary

The Domain Name System (DNS) is defined in literally dozens of different RFCs
which have been updated over time.  This document attempts to give current
definitions to many of the terms used in DNS in a single document.

Working Group Summary

This document had a large amount of working group discussion, editing,
reviews, and opinions.  This draft was attempting to document what current
definitions are defined in existing RFCs.  There was suggestions to 'correct'
some of the definitions to make what the real world definition is.  The
decision was made that any changes to definitions would be done in a -bis
document within a year.

Document Quality

This document is of very good quality. Time was spent preparing the
definitions, discussing the wording, and getting the editing just right.

Observed consensus on this document is interesting. It is possible that 
given the opportunity a near endless cycle of small edits would be proposed
respecting some aspects of the terminology. I think that we have arrived
at to point that almost all parties can live with the output as it stands now.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Tim Wicinski and the Area Director is Joel Jaggli.