Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 02:34:19 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option
        Authors         : Paul Wouters
                          Joe Abley
                          Sara Dickinson
                          Ray Bellis
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2016-01-06

Abstract:
   DNS messages between clients and servers may be received over either
   UDP or TCP.  UDP transport involves keeping less state on a busy
   server, but can cause truncation and retries over TCP.  Additionally,
   UDP can be exploited for reflection attacks.  Using TCP would reduce
   retransmits and amplification.  However, clients commonly use TCP
   only for retries and servers typically use idle timeouts on the order
   of seconds.

   This document defines an EDNS0 option ("edns-tcp-keepalive") that
   allows DNS servers to signal a variable idle timeout.  This
   signalling encourages the use of long-lived TCP connections by
   allowing the state associated with TCP transport to be managed
   effectively with minimal impact on the DNS transaction time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Sara Dickinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 10:40:43 +0000

> On 6 Jan 2016, at 10:34, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 

All, 

This version addresses most of the Gen-ART, OPS-DIR and other comments to date. Some minor issues remain to be agreed.

Changes vs -04 version:

   Reword Abstract and paragraph 9 in Introduction to remove discussion
   on balancing UDP/TCP and talk about encouraging use of long-lived TCP
   sessions.

   Section 3.2.2: should -> SHOULD

   Changed draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis to be a normative reference,
   therefore adding a dependancy on publication of that as RFC.

   Reword sentence referring to RFC6824 since it is informational.

   Update IANA option to Standard.

   Remove last sentence from 1st paragraph of introduction.

   Reword paragraph 6 in Introduction, merge paragraph 7 and 8.

   Reword Section 3, first sentence to clarify the timeout is specified
   by the server.

   Correct missing URIs in 2 references.

   Clarify statement in Section 3.2.2 as how clients should handle
   updating the timeout when receiving a response.

   Reworded first paragraph of Introduction discussing TCP vs (UDP +
   retry over TCP).  Changed 'fallback' to 'retry' in 2 places.

Regards

Sara.