Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'DNS Transport over TCP - Implementation Requirements' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:55:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS Transport over TCP - Implementation Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-5966bis/

Technical Summary

The document specifies the requirements for support TCP as a transport 
protocol for DNS. It also provides guidelines on optimizing performance 
of DNS over TCP.

This document obsoletes RFC 5966.

Working Group Summary

This document was actively discussed and reviewed, partially because 
this is a revision of an older RFC, but also as more DNS falls back to 
TCP (DNSSEC) and the need for DNS to support the DNS-over-TLS work in 
DPRIVE working group.  The community feels updating the older RFC is 
well needed. This also include the initial author of RFC5966.

The document had a broad discussion as the wording of several points 
were more accurately described. Once these issues were resolved, 
consensus was strong with no complaints.

Personnel

Document Shepherd:   Tim Wicinski
Area Director:       Joel Jaggeli