Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:17:19 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/

Technical Summary

This document defines an EDNS0 option ("edns-tcp-keepalive") that
allows DNS servers to signal a variable idle timeout.  This
signalling facilitates a better balance of UDP and TCP transport
between individual clients and servers, reducing the impact of
problems associated with UDP transport and allowing the state
associated with TCP transport to be managed effectively with minimal
impact on the DNS transaction time.

Working Group Summary

This document originally was adopted but had a few points of controversy 
over the initial size of the keep alive option.  Another draft was 
written at one with a different solution.  The authors ended up 
collaborating on this document and the final solution with input from 
several working group members.

Personnel

Document Shepherd:   Tim Wicinski
Area Director:       Joel Jaggeli