Subject: [DNSOP] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-09: (with COMMENT)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 06:06:49 -0800

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- intro: References for directions that fail "disastrously"
would be good, if only to decrease the chances that other
implementers choose known-bad approaches.

- section 5, 2nd para: such an attacker can also see what
queries are being emitted by the resolver, and, in the
absence of qname minimisation, that can be quite privacy
sensitive. I think it'd be well worth noting that with a
reference to RFC7816 as a possible mitigation.