Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'Initializing a DNS Resolver with Priming Queries' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:43:55 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Initializing a DNS Resolver with Priming Queries'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming-11.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-resolver-priming/

Technical Summary

This document describes the queries that a DNS resolver should emit
to initialize its cache.  The result is that the resolver gets both a
current NS RRSet for the root zone and the necessary address
information for reaching the root servers.

Working Group Summary

This document has been active in the working group for several years. It
had strong consensus to adopt and publish.  However, due to working
group inertia and authors busy schedules, the document stalled several times.
It was picked back up recently and the document went through an editing
process to streamline the language.

This time through the process there was enough attention paid by the working
group to address any outstanding issues, provide editorial comments, and see
the document through.

Personnel

Document Shepherd:  Tim Wicinski
Area Director:      Joel Jaggeli