Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02.txt

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 14:31:27 +0100

Following feedback and discussion on this draft I've updated it to use a
META RR rather than an EDNS option.

This simplifies questions about adding an OPT RR if one wasn't already
in the proxied packet.  It also avoids (some) issues with TSIG / SIG(0).

This RR now contains the entire 5-tuple of src/dest address and port
(and protocol) and not just the source IP address - the rationale for
this is explained in the draft.

As I won't be present for DNSOP in Prague this is due to be presented by
Peter van Dijk, one of my two new co-authors.

Ray

-------- Forwarded Message --------

A new version of I-D, draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Ray Bellis and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf
Revision:	02
Title:		DNS X-Proxied-For
Document date:	2017-07-03
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		8
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bellis-dnsop-xpf-02

Abstract:
   It is becoming more commonplace to install front end proxy devices in
   front of DNS servers to provide (for example) load balancing or to
   perform transport layer conversions.

   This document defines a meta resource record that allows a DNS server
   to receive information about the client's original transport protocol
   parameters when supplied by trusted proxies.

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:03:51 -0400

>    parameters when supplied by trusted proxies.

3.4.  Presentation Format
 Since this is a "meta" RR that cannot appear in master format zone files
no presentation format is defined.

Could you please define a Presentation Format so that "dig" and similar
tools use a consistent format?

-- 
Bob Harold

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:12:35 +0100

On 13/07/2017 18:03, Bob Harold wrote:

> 3.4.  Presentation Format
>   Since this is a "meta" RR that cannot appear in master format 
> zone files no presentation format is defined.
> 

Ah, yes - good point!

thanks,

Ray