Subject: Re: [DNSOP] new DNS classes

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 10:26:35 +1000

As for those that think deploying a new class would be hard the
tools that start to lookup records in the class would need to react
to error responses like this with a message saying "please install
root hints for class50 in your DNS recursive server".

[rock:~/git/bind9] marka% dig class50 type1 .

; <<>> DiG 9.12.0-pre-alpha+hotspot+add-prefetch+marka <<>> class50 type1 .
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 60872
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; COOKIE: 151e2fd665595893dcd132c0595ecd8c1771012331aceded (good)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;.				CLASS50	A

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jul 07 09:53:48 AEST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 56

[rock:~/git/bind9] marka% 

In practice the new set of hints will almost certainly already be
compiled into the recursive server like root hints for class IN are
today with configuration directives to allow them to be overridden.
Adding a new class will be mostly transparent.

If you care about a name not existing you would need to check all
the active classes for NXDOMAIN but otherwise tools would just work
like they always had.

It requires planning and some lead time before you start to use it
in urnest but it is achievable.

Mark
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]