Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:29:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : BULK DNS Resource Records
        Authors         : John Woodworth
                          Dean Ballew
                          Shashwath Bindinganaveli Raghavan
                          David C Lawrence
	Filename        : draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-07.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2017-10-30

Abstract:
   The BULK DNS resource record type defines a method of pattern-based
   creation of DNS resource records based on numeric substrings of query
   names.  The intent of BULK is to simplify generic assignments in a
   memory-efficient way that can be easily shared between the primary
   and secondary nameservers for a zone.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-woodworth-bulk-rr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 17:01:50 -0400

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-woodworth-bulk-rr-07
I don't understand this section:

5.1.1. On-the-fly Signatures
 ...
   One possibly mitigation for addressing the risk of keeping the zone
   signing key online would be to continue to keep the key for signing
   positive answers offline and introduce a second key for online
   signing of negative answers.

Since every positive answer would be different, they would need a different
signature, which would need to be generated online.
Or do I not understand something?  (Is this part of the NPN solution that
was deleted?)

-- 
Bob Harold