Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 01:05:42 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Let 'localhost' be localhost.
        Author          : Mike West
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2017-12-18

Abstract:
   This document updates the treatment of the special-use domain name
   "localhost" as specified in RFC6761, Section 6.3, with the goal of
   ensuring that it can be safely relied upon as a name for the local
   host's loopback interface.  To that end, stub resolvers are required
   to resolve localhost names to loopback addresses.  Recursive DNS
   servers are required to return "NXDOMAIN" when queried for localhost
   names, making non-conformant stub resolvers more likely to fail and
   produce problem reports that result in updates.

   Together, these requirements would allow applications and
   specifications to join regular users in drawing the common-sense
   conclusions that "localhost" means "localhost", and doesn't resolve
   to somewhere else on the network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Mike West <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:24:43 +0100

This draft addresses a few nits that were raised in conversation on the
-01. Changelog at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-02#appendix-B.1
.

-mike

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>