Subject: [DNSOP] Soliciting review and feedback on draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-02

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 15:10:12 -0500

Friends,

Duane and I recently updated the DNS Transport over TCP - Operational
Requirements draft.

  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-02>

  This document encourages the practice of permitting DNS messages to
  be carried over TCP on the Internet.  It also considers the
  consequences with this form of DNS communication and the potential
  operational issues that can arise when this best common practice is
  not upheld.

We would appreciate a review and feedback from this community.

We also have some specific questions we're happy to take guidance on.
This includes the following:

* This draft is suggesting an update to IETF RFC 1123.  However, this
  might become in entangled with what IETF RFC 7766 did.  They are
  essentially saying similar things, but we would need to reconcile
  implementation, service, and support.  See the TODO note in section 3
  of this draft for details.

* Is a DNS Root Zone KSK Rollover still a concern?  See section 5.2 in
  of this draft for detail.

* Appendix A was originally intended to enumerate prior documents that
  had something relevant to say about DNS over TCP.  This list is
  currently incomplete.  Given that the list is already 15 documents
  long spanning IETF RFCs 5936 to 8162, is this becoming too unwieldy
  to be useful?

Thank you,

John