Subject: [DNSOP] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02.txt

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:14:11 +0100

Hello all,

This is the revamped ANAME draft that I have been talking about at the
DNS-OARC and RIPE meetings. It's basically rewritten to remove ANAME
processing from authoritative query handling and instead describe it as
part of the zone provisioning / maintenance process.

There is an "as if" clause which is intended to allow a wide variety of
implementations; the view is that an auth server that does dynamic answer
generation is actually a weird kind of primary master (since it controls
the zone contents) however much it tries to work like a secondary. This is
difficult to explain well, so comments and questions are encouraged!

There is still ANAME processing in resolvers, as an optimization for ANAME
targets that are dynamic based on the client's address. ANAME works
without this extra feature, so no forklift upgrade is needed. DNSSEC
compatibility is handled by never altering records if the client might be
validating, and assumung that the client will do so itself if it cares.

There are some pending edits to the draft which might make it into a -03
before the submission deadline, but I wanted to get this out for
discussion sooner rather than later.

The draft's git repo is still https://github.com/each/draft-aname

My phone's autocorrect rechristened this effort "ANAME minimization" when
I was trying to write a note to myself about QNAME minimization and NSEC
negative answer synthesis and IPv6 reverse DNS...

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
an equitable and peaceful international order

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 06:24:36 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>, Evan Hunt <[email-masked]>,
    Peter van Dijk <[email-masked]>,
    Anthony Eden <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tony Finch and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-dnsop-aname
Revision:	02
Title:		Address-specific DNS aliases (ANAME)
Document date:	2018-10-19
Group:		dnsop
Pages:		17
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02

Abstract:
   This document defines the "ANAME" DNS RR type, to provide similar
   functionality to CNAME, but only for type A and AAAA queries.  Unlike
   CNAME, an ANAME can coexist with other record types.  The ANAME RR
   allows zone owners to make an apex domain name into an alias in a
   standards compliant manner.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 05:42:12 -0400

Working Group

I spent some time this evening reading over the updated draft, and there
has been significant work to help move this forward.
I would encourage others to review it also.

The Chairs are going to put this on the schedule for Bangkok.  We should be
able to walk through the changes and listen for the complaints.

thanks
Tim

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:14 PM Tony Finch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> URL:
> https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02.txt
> Htmlized:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname
> Diff:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-aname-02
>
> Abstract:
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>