Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 8482 on Providing Minimal-Sized Responses to DNS Queries That Have QTYPE=ANY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 18:23:34 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8482

        Title:      Providing Minimal-Sized Responses to DNS 
                    Queries That Have QTYPE=ANY 
        Author:     J. Abley,
                    O. Gudmundsson,
                    M. Majkowski,
                    E. Hunt
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21577
        Updates:    RFC 1034, RFC 1035

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-refuse-any-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8482

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8482

The Domain Name System (DNS) specifies a query type (QTYPE) "ANY".
The operator of an authoritative DNS server might choose not to
respond to such queries for reasons of local policy, motivated by
security, performance, or other reasons.

The DNS specification does not include specific guidance for the
behavior of DNS servers or clients in this situation.  This document
aims to provide such guidance.

This document updates RFCs 1034 and 1035.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC