Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'C-DNS: A DNS Packet Capture Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:21:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'C-DNS: A DNS Packet Capture Format'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Ignas Bagdonas.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format/

Technical Summary

      This document describes a data representation for collections of DNS
    messages.  The format is designed for efficient storage and
    transmission of large packet captures of DNS traffic; it attempts to
    minimize the size of such packet capture files but retain the full
    DNS message contents along with the most useful transport metadata

Working Group Summary

    There was no controversy with the working group. However, during an 
    IETF Hackathon, several issues were during the proof of concept.
    The document was corrected to address these issues, and is a 
    stronger document because of this.

Document Quality

    There is an existing implementation, as well as converters from
    this format to other packet formats. 
    From the document: 
   ICANN/Sinodun IT have developed an open source implementation called
   DNS-STATS Compactor.  The Compactor is a suite of tools which can
   capture DNS traffic (from either a network interface or a PCAP file)
   and store it in the Compacted-DNS (C-DNS) file format.  PCAP files
   for the captured traffic can also be reconstructed.  See Compactor
   [1].

   This implementation:

   o  covers the whole of the specification described in the -03 draft
      with the exception of support for malformed messages and pico
      second time resolution.  (Note: this implementation does allow
      malformed messages to be recorded separately in a PCAP file).

   o  is released under the Mozilla Public License Version 2.0.

   o  has a users mailing list available, see dns-stats-users [2].

Personnel

    Document Shepherd: Tim Wicinski
    Responsible Area Director (RAD): Warren Kumari