Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 8618 on Compacted-DNS (C-DNS): A Format for DNS Packet Capture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 21:07:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8618

        Title:      Compacted-DNS (C-DNS): A Format for 
                    DNS Packet Capture 
        Author:     J. Dickinson,
                    J. Hague,
                    S. Dickinson,
                    T. Manderson,
                    J. Bond
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      79
        Characters: 187036
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-capture-format-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8618

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8618

This document describes a data representation for collections of DNS
messages.  The format is designed for efficient storage and
transmission of large packet captures of DNS traffic; it attempts to
minimize the size of such packet capture files but retain the full
DNS message contents along with the most useful transport metadata.
It is intended to assist with the development of DNS traffic-
monitoring applications.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC