Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 11:08:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Transport over TCP - Operational Requirements
        Authors         : John Kristoff
                          Duane Wessels
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-05.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2019-11-02

Abstract:
   This document encourages the practice of permitting DNS messages to
   be carried over TCP on the Internet.  This includes both DNS over
   unencrypted TCP, as well as over an encrypted TLS session.  The
   document also considers the consequences with this form of DNS
   communication and the potential operational issues that can arise
   when this best common practice is not upheld.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Wessels, Duane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 18:17:55 +0000

Hello dnsop,

This draft has been updated with the following changes since -04:

- added DNS-over-TLS to the abstract
- added recent discussions about avoiding fragmentation in DNS
- changed "SHOULD use TFO" to "MAY use TFO" due to concerns expressed in the WG
- changed discussion of KSK rollover to past tense
- added privacy consideration text
- added a few new references

The authors would like to take this draft to working group last call.

DW

> On Nov 2, 2019, at 1:08 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop

---

From: Giovane Moura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 10:10:49 +0000

Thanks Duane,

For what is worth, I took a look on volume of TCP queries over the years 
reaching each Root Servers letter, just to have a feeling on how TCP 
traffic is evolving on DNS:

https://github.com/gmmoura/root-RSSAC002-timeseries

It seems that DNS over TCP is slowly increasing for most letters, and 
still under 10% for most letters.

/giovane

ps: thanks for your  https://github.com/rssac-caucus/RSSAC002-data data 
repository, helps tons.