Subject: Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-02.txt

From: Vladimír Čunát <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 12:56:00 +0100

Hello!

On 10/28/19 10:32 PM, Wessels, Duane wrote:
> The one defined hash algorithm SHA384 has been renamed to SHA384-STABLE to reflect that it designed for use on stable (or small) zones where it is not burdensome to recalculate the digest over the entire zone data each time.

Tiny nitpick: calling it "SHA384-STABLE" might be a tiny bit confusing
(to me), as I've seen that word refer to some particular hashing
approaches/properties.  Actually some of the algorithms that efficiently
recompute after small changes in large zones... I'd even tend to call
those digests (more) "stable"/"steady" intuitively, but that might be
personal :-)  I certainly don't have a strong opinion on the naming and
don't want to bike-shed, but I could imagine calling it "simple" or
"flat" or something along those lines.

[example] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable_hashing

--Vladimir

---

From: "Wessels, Duane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 09:29:09 +0000

> On Nov 7, 2019, at 7:56 PM, Vladimír Čunát <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello!
> 

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the feedback!  I guess we settled on stable as being sort of opposite to dynamic, but I agree it's not all that great.  I would be okay with "simple" or "flat" as well.

DW