Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-07.txt> (Running a Root Server Local to a Resolver) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:54:42 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'Running a Root Server Local to
a Resolver'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-02-28. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
   times to the closest DNS root server such as during a network attack.
   Some DNS recursive resolver operators want to prevent snooping by
   third parties of requests sent to DNS root servers.  Such resolvers
   can greatly decrease the round-trip time and prevent observation of
   requests by serving a copy of the full root zone on the same server,
   such as on a loopback address or in the resolver software.  This
   document shows how to start and maintain such a copy of the root zone
   that does not cause problems for other users of the DNS, at the cost
   of adding some operational fragility for the operator.

   [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/wkumari/draft-kh-dnsop-7706bis.  The most recent
   version of the document, open issues, and so on should all be
   available there.  The authors gratefully accept pull requests. ]

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.