Subject: [DNSOP] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-14

From: Scott Bradner via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 06:23:32 -0700

Reviewer: Scott Bradner
Review result: Ready

This is an OPS-DIR review of Extended DNS Errors
<draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error>

This ID defines a use of the EDNS0 extension mechanism that can be used by a
DNS resolver to provide additional detail about DNS lookup issues as well as
defining an initial set of 24 codes that can be used to provide specific
failure reasons.

The document is clearly written. (But I expect that not all of the
acknowledgements should be retained in the RFC)

>From an operations point of view, the additional information provided by these
error codes will be quite helpful in diagnosing DNS errors. But, as with most
error information, it will be difficult to present the error information in a
way that will make sense to the average Internet user, thus this information
may be mostly useful to IT support staff.

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 14:15:14 -0400

[ - last-call@, for clutter,  +Barry]

Thank you for the review, Scott.

As I'm an author on this, I am recusing myself from balloting, and so
am CCing the responsible AD (Barry Leiba) so he has a copy of it...

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf