Subject: [DNSOP] Starting a -bis document for RFC 8109: Initializing a DNS Resolver with Priming Queries

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 23:39:59 +0000

Greetings again. Since RFC 8109 has been published, there has been more discussion of what DNS priming means. This has caused the document authors to see a few places where RFC 8109 could be clarified and improved. Please see:
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klh-dnsop-rfc8109bis/

Comments are welcome. If the WG wants to adopt this work, that would be grand as well.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Davey Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 07:51:06 +0800

If the new draft of priming exchange considers and makes clarification on
the setting of a local resolver like rfc7706, then +1.

Davey

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 07:40, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Greetings again. Since RFC 8109 has been published, there has been more
> discussion of what DNS priming means. This has caused the document authors
> to see a few places where RFC 8109 could be clarified and improved. Please
> see:
> --Paul Hoffman_______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 00:27:09 +0000

On Jun 30, 2020, at 4:51 PM, Davey Song <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> If the new draft of priming exchange considers and makes clarification on the setting of a local resolver like rfc7706, then +1. 

Please say more. What is the relationship? If a resolver is doing RFC 8806, it knows what address to prime from: itself.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Davey Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 12:10:06 +0800

> If a resolver is doing RFC 8806, it knows what address to prime from:
> itself.

Yes. We know it prime to itself, or a specified address which is not the
address of the root servers. It depends on the local settings.

RFC8109 and draft-8109bis says in section-2 which gives an assumption that
priming queries is only sent to root servers:

     Priming is the act of finding the list of root servers from a
     configuration that lists some or all of the purported IP addresses of
     some or all of those root servers.

In addition, some behaviors of priming to real roots are not relevant for
priming to itself, such as Repeating Priming, Target selection, and
DNSSEC.

The above is about the text of the draft which can be edited accordingly to
fit the situation of the local root mirror. But I'm still uncomfortable
about the concept of priming in the case of a recursive resolver with local
root mirror settings.

IMHO,  the purpose of priming is for bootstrapping with a local
configuration(lists of IP) as a starting point to get the authoritative NS
and glue of the root servers. After priming, the authoritative NS and glue
should be used for queries to root instead of the local configurations.
However, in the case of rfc8806, the priming is not necessary and the local
settings will be used for all queries to root, all the time. (correct me if
it is not ture). That's why I think some clarification should be made, to
make the two in harmony.

Davey