Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 8806 on Running a Root Server Local to a Resolver

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:59:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8806

        Title:      Running a Root Server Local 
                    to a Resolver 
        Author:     W. Kumari,
                    P. Hoffman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7706

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-7706bis-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8806

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8806

Some DNS recursive resolvers have longer-than-desired round-trip
times to the closest DNS root server; those resolvers may have
difficulty getting responses from the root servers, such as during a
network attack. Some DNS recursive resolver operators want to prevent
snooping by third parties of requests sent to DNS root servers. In
both cases, resolvers can greatly decrease the round-trip time and
prevent observation of requests by serving a copy of the full root
zone on the same server, such as on a loopback address or in the
resolver software. This document shows how to start and maintain such
a copy of the root zone that does not cause problems for other users
of the DNS, at the cost of adding some operational fragility for the
operator.

This document obsoletes RFC 7706.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC