Subject: [DNSOP] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-12: (with COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 23:55:03 -0700

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-12: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support Benjamin's DISCUSS about the IANA issues.  I'd also suggest adding
text about what the possible values of the "Implementation Requirement" column
are and what they mean.  Further, what's the "Mnemonic" used for?  That word
appears nowhere in the document other than in the column headings in this
section.

Roman made some other good editorial suggestions.  Please check those out.

Section 3.3.1 says: "SIMPLE is a good choice for zones that are small and/or
stable, but probably not good for zones that are large and/or dynamic." 
There's no alternative presented for large/dynamic zones.  Are there plans to
develop such a thing?

---

From: "Wessels, Duane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 21:27:24 +0000

> On Oct 7, 2020, at 11:55 PM, Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Hi Murray, thanks for the comments. 

> are and what they mean.

Based on the discussion with Benjamin that column has been dropped.

>  Further, what's the "Mnemonic" used for?  That word

I assumed that was relatively standard thing in protocol registry tables.
It probably came from using the DNSKEY algorithm registry as a model.
https://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-sec-alg-numbers/dns-sec-alg-numbers.xhtml#dns-sec-alg-numbers-1

> There's no alternative presented for large/dynamic zones.  Are there plans to

I have some ideas that I have shared on the DNSOP list and in some
presentations about zone digests.  Others probably have ideas as well.
Nothing is to the stage of being written down as an Internet Draft yet,
as far as I know.

DW