Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'Message Digest for DNS Zones' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:10:01 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Message Digest for DNS Zones'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari, Robert Wilton and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest/

Technical Summary:

   This document describes a protocol and new DNS Resource Record that
   can be used to provide a cryptographic message digest over DNS zone
   data.  The ZONEMD Resource Record conveys the digest data in the zone
   itself.  When a zone publisher includes an ZONEMD record, recipients
   can verify the zone contents for accuracy and completeness.  This
   provides assurance that received zone data matches published data,
   regardless of how the zone data has been transmitted and received.

Working Group Summary:

There were several discussions during the working group process,
but they were all resolved.  The only other point raised was with
the intended document status (currently Standards Track).  Please
see comments in Section 6

Document Quality:

There have been implementations of the DNS record in several public
domain DNS servers.   However, because of the narrow use for this
resource record, the shepherd does not feel that vendors will see
the need to implement. More than one managed DNS vendor has indicated
they see no need to implement.

Personnel:
Document Shepherd:  Tim Wicinski
Responsible Area Director:  Barry Leiba