Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04.txt> (Interoperable Domain Name System (DNS) Server Cookies) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 02:28:43 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'Interoperable Domain Name
System (DNS) Server Cookies'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-12-04. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   DNS Cookies, as specified in [RFC7873], are a lightweight DNS
   transaction security mechanism that provide limited protection to DNS
   servers and clients against a variety of denial-of-service and
   amplification, forgery, or cache poisoning attacks by off-path
   attackers.

   This document provides precise directions for creating Server Cookies
   so that an anycast server set including diverse implementations will
   interoperate with standard clients.

   This document updates [RFC7873] with

   *  suggestions for constructing Client Cookies in a privacy
      preserving fashion,

   *  precise instructions for constructing Server Cookies deprecating
      the methods described in [RFC7873], and

   *  suggestions on how to update a server secret.

   An IANA registry listing the methods and associated pseudo random
   function suitable for creating DNS Server cookies is created, with
   the method described in this document as the first and as of yet only
   entry.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.