Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 13:43:43 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Service binding and parameter specification via the DNS (DNS SVCB and HTTPS RRs)
        Authors         : Ben Schwartz
                          Mike Bishop
                          Erik Nygren
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02.txt
	Pages           : 45
	Date            : 2020-11-02

Abstract:
   This document specifies the "SVCB" and "HTTPS" DNS resource record
   (RR) types to facilitate the lookup of information needed to make
   connections to network services, such as for HTTPS origins.  SVCB
   records allow a service to be provided from multiple alternative
   endpoints, each with associated parameters (such as transport
   protocol configuration and keys for encrypting the TLS ClientHello).
   They also enable aliasing of apex domains, which is not possible with
   CNAME.  The HTTPS RR is a variation of SVCB for HTTPS and HTTP
   origins.  By providing more information to the client before it
   attempts to establish a connection, these records offer potential
   benefits to both performance and privacy.

   TO BE REMOVED: This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc [1].  The most recent
   working version of the document, open issues, etc. should all be
   available there.  The authors (gratefully) accept pull requests.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 01:43:49 -0500

For those who haven't looked at the diff, here are the changes since -01
      *  Added a Privacy Considerations section
      *  Adjusted resolution fallback description
      *  Clarified status of SvcParams in AliasMode
      *  Improved advice on zone structuring and use with Alt-Svc
      *  Improved examples, including a new Multi-CDN example
      *  Reorganized text on value-list parsing and SvcPriority
      *  Improved phrasing and other editorial improvements throughout

Notably, the normative changes are extremely limited compared to the
previous draft.  This reflects the authors' view that this draft is
stabilizing and should be ready for WGLC soon.

Perhaps more important than the changes that were made are the changes that
were discussed but have not been made:
* We had an extensive discussion regarding the meaning of TargetName = ".",
which is currently shorthand for the owner name.  Some suggested augmenting
this to mean "owner name minus underscore prefix labels", and others
suggested removing this special-case entirely.  (
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/issues/252)
* We received a suggestion to ban fallback to non-SVCB connection
establishment (https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/issues/256).  (We
clarified the fallback text but did not change the recommendation.)
* The escaping of ALPNs that contain commas continues to be contentious.
We received a suggestion to remove support for such ALPNs (
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/issues/268).

In each case, we think that the draft's current text still reflects the
group's consensus and strikes the right balance.  If you disagree, please
open a thread on the dnsop list and we will discuss it.

We have one open issue that seems likely to result in a text change (
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/issues/87).  This is a fine point
regarding the HTTPS user experience if TLS fails, and we are soliciting
input from experts on those topics.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 4:44 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>