Subject: [DNSOP] DNS cache poisoning is back

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Nov 2020 22:39:30 -0500

This paper from UC Riverside given at this week's ACM CCS '20
conference describes a DNS cache poisoning attack that uses weaknesses
in UDP stacks. They say it works on real public caches including
Cloudflare, Google, and Quad 9,

https://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/ccs20_dns_poisoning.pdf

-- 
Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Mukund Sivaraman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:09:22 +0530

> https://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/ccs20_dns_poisoning.pdf

The paper concludes in 8.1 that DNS COOKIE mitigates this problem, which
is also obvious from the problem description. The Kaminsky style attack
is still effective, and COOKIE still mitigates it.

		Mukund