Subject: [DNSOP] Discuss the privacy issue of DNS orphan records

From: Ali Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 16:50:43 -0800

Hi All,

Hope you all are fine.

I am a newcomer to IETF and working on implementing RDPA clients and during
my journey I came across an idea to propose a IETF draft about the better
handling of orphan records and other issues related to it.

Summary:
A top-level domain (TLD) is a special type of zone that typically only
has one task: to delegate authority for second-level domains. The
delegation uses NS records that identify the name server for a domain.
An orphan record is a former glue record for which the related domain no
longer exists in the zone (the delegation has been removed) ◦ These records
are supposed to be removed after a delegation is removed or changed.  This
draft standardised the handling of these orphan records for data
transparency, security and privacy features for registrants.

I would like to hear your feedback about this and if it's an
interesting topic to bring to the dnop working group. As I am new to IETF
therefore I thought about discussing the idea  with experienced and
relevant people and writing the first draft with the collaboration and
leadership of experienced.

Would appreciate any comment feedback about this. Is it worth standrazig
this? And is anyone in this group interested in working on this together?

Thanks,

Regards,
Ali Hussain

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Dec 2020 17:48:38 -0500

>transparency, security and privacy features for registrants.

Earlier this year here in dnsop someone proposed a way for a zone to
state that it is "delegation only", which means among other things
that it has no orphan glue. After quite a lot of discussion we found
that there are a lot of reasons that TLDs contain records that look
like orphan glue some of which are glue and some of which are not, and
many of which are there quite deliberately.

I'd encourage you to look through the archives and read that
discussion. I doubt that there is anything we could say here that
registries would find helpful. Everyone already knows that actual
orphan glue can be a problem.

R's,
John