Subject: [DNSOP] Additional EDE codes for resource limits

From: "libor.peltan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 10:32:24 +0100

Hi all,

I just suggest a discussion about some more error codes for EDNS 
Extended Errcode (EDE).

In some cases, a server (authoritative or recursive) is not able/willing 
to answer the query, because:
1) it lacks resources
2) rate-limiting was applied

Do you think it would be useful to have one or two additional EDE 
errcodes for those?

Thanks,

Libor

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 10:30:59 -0800

"libor.peltan" <[email-masked]> writes:

I'm trying to think about when these would be included and what would be
in the rest of the response.

> 1) it lacks resources

So, with this one it would return something like REFUSED quickly without
doing the search for data and just say "I'm overwhelmed, try again
later" essentially?

> 2) rate-limiting was applied

So this would be used in the common RRL case, where information would be
left out and the TC bit was set?  IE, the EDE code would indicate that
RRL had been hit; that makes some sense.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI

---

From: Eric Orth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 16:06:00 -0500

Is it common for a resolver to still want to return DNS responses in these
low-resources or rate-limited cases? My uninformed guess would be that
these errors are more often a transport-level issue, rather than an
application issue appropriate to communicate within DNS messages.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>