Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 23:59:16 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : NSEC(3) TTLs and NSEC Aggressive Use
        Author          : Peter van Dijk
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2021-01-24

Abstract:
   Due to a combination of unfortunate wording in earlier documents,
   aggressive use of NSEC(3) records may deny names far beyond the
   intended lifetime of a denial.  This document changes the definition
   of the NSEC(3) TTL to correct that situation.  This document updates
   RFC 4034, RFC 4035, and RFC 5155.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-01.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Peter van Dijk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 09:06:15 +0100

Hello dnsop,

please find below revision -01 of this document.

Matt Nordhoff noticed that I upgraded the NSEC TTL requirements from
'SHOULD' to 'MUST' compared to the original texts, and pointed out that
incremental signers might have a hard time honouring that 'MUST'.

Matthijs Mekking (ISC/BIND) confirmed this theory. So, -01 drops the
requirement level back to SHOULD, just like the original texts.

I believe the document is ready for publication. Chairs, can we do a
WGLC?

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Kind regards,
-- 
Peter van Dijk
PowerDNS.COM BV - https://www.powerdns.com/

---

From: Peter van Dijk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:23:32 +0100

Hello DNSOP,

inspired by success stories from other WGs, I've written up an
implementation report on the IETF Trac wiki, at 
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/dnsop/wiki/draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl

This will allow us to track implementation after document publication -
when the 'Implementation Status' from the draft is gone (we usually do
not publish it in the final RFC - and if we did, it would quickly be
outdated).

If we do this for other documents too, we can easily check how
implementation is going - and if implementation is happening at all!

Kind regards,