Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 07:58:06 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Service binding and parameter specification via the DNS (DNS SVCB and HTTPS RRs)
        Authors         : Ben Schwartz
                          Mike Bishop
                          Erik Nygren
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-03.txt
	Pages           : 47
	Date            : 2021-02-17

Abstract:
   This document specifies the "SVCB" and "HTTPS" DNS resource record
   (RR) types to facilitate the lookup of information needed to make
   connections to network services, such as for HTTPS origins.  SVCB
   records allow a service to be provided from multiple alternative
   endpoints, each with associated parameters (such as transport
   protocol configuration and keys for encrypting the TLS ClientHello).
   They also enable aliasing of apex domains, which is not possible with
   CNAME.  The HTTPS RR is a variation of SVCB for HTTPS and HTTP
   origins.  By providing more information to the client before it
   attempts to establish a connection, these records offer potential
   benefits to both performance and privacy.

   TO BE REMOVED: This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc
   (https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc).  The most recent working
   version of the document, open issues, etc. should all be available
   there.  The authors (gratefully) accept pull requests.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-03.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:38:47 -0500

As you can see from the diff or the changelog (Appendix D), there have been
quite a few changes between -02 and -03.  However, these changes are almost
exclusively advisory or editorial, improving implementation guidance or
clarifying exposition.  The only real "protocol change" between these
versions is in the zone file syntax for ALPN IDs that contain commas.  The
new draft changes the escaping rules in order to reduce special casing and
enable the first step of SvcParamValue parsing to proceed uniformly for all
SvcParamKeys.  (These escaping rules are currently, and perhaps forever, an
academic question, since there are no defined ALPN IDs that contain commas.)

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:58 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>