Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 8976 on Message Digest for DNS Zones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 22:19:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8976

        Title:      Message Digest for DNS Zones 
        Author:     D. Wessels,
                    P. Barber,
                    M. Weinberg,
                    W. Kumari,
                    W. Hardaker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8976

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8976

This document describes a protocol and new DNS Resource Record that
provides a cryptographic message digest over DNS zone data at rest.
The ZONEMD Resource Record conveys the digest data in the zone
itself. When used in combination with DNSSEC, ZONEMD allows
recipients to verify the zone contents for data integrity and origin
authenticity. This provides assurance that received zone data matches
published data, regardless of how the zone data has been transmitted
and received.  When used without DNSSEC, ZONEMD functions as a
checksum, guarding only against unintentional changes. 

ZONEMD does not replace DNSSEC: DNSSEC protects individual RRsets
(DNS data with fine granularity), whereas ZONEMD protects a zone's
data as a whole, whether consumed by authoritative name servers,
recursive name servers, or any other applications. 

As specified herein, ZONEMD is impractical for large, dynamic zones
due to the time and resources required for digest calculation.
However, the ZONEMD record is extensible so that new digest schemes
may be added in the future to support large, dynamic zones.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC